Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best ever live visual views of the horsehead (night vision)

GavStar

I’ve finally got the hang of my 16 inch Skyvision goto dob (been a bit of a journey with some initial disappointment but now it’s working really well).

A rare clear sky last night so I couldn’t resist seeing what the dob and night vision monoculars could do on the horse head. Here is a phone pic of the eyepiece views (the actual live view was virtually identical to this). The 55mm plossl does show astigmatism with my f4 dob but visually I don’t really notice. Quite intoxicating to observe... A great end to a very successful year of observing for me.

1278B83C-A8AC-49C6-8971-1A54F9308206.jpeg

PS I also looked at some showpiece galaxies towards the end. Whirlpool, Leo Triplet and m81/82.

C96509A4-1344-4449-9D05-7062336AD9B0.jpeg

DFA98A60-AF19-4D4C-9C27-410FCE3CE641.jpeg

6FAA7CA3-D185-4B31-81E5-62514317E777.jpeg

Edited by GavStar
  • Like 20

2 minutes ago, GavStar said:

I was using a ha filter which works really well visually with my night vision monoculars 

Ha12nm i presume ?

Edit, OK i missed the EEVA there, i get now how you got these views.

Could you post a pic of your gear ?

Thanks

Edited by Miguel1983

3 minutes ago, Miguel1983 said:

Ha12nm i presume ?

Edit, OK i missed the EEVA there, i get now how you got these views.

Could you post a pic of your gear ?

Thanks

3nm ha filter. Here’s a recent pic showing my night vision monoculars attached to my c11

56FC9AD4-BB6D-4995-A8B0-C217387F67E8.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jetstream said:

Excellent Gavin, were you in the city or out in the country? these views are very good and congrats for having a fine year of observing.

Yes in the country by the sea as PeterW said. When I took the phone shots the sqm was 20.8, it later improved to 21.2 but by then Orion was behind my house.

Happy New Year Gerry! Hope it’s not too cold where you are.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, GavStar said:

Yes in the country by the sea as PeterW said. When I took the phone shots the sqm was 20.8, it later improved to 21.2 but by then Orion was behind my house.

Happy New Year Gerry! Hope it’s not too cold where you are.

Happy New Year to you Gavin!

Not cold but cloudy and we got about 18" of snow yesterday with drifts up around 3 ft. The NV set is working well with the dob and I'm eagerly waiting reports!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @GavStar, I was just discussing large mirror making here on SGL when someone correctly pointed out that rather than spend years of effort grinding and figuring a monster scope, (I already have a 20" dob) just go for EEVA in near-real time. May I ask what set-up you are using and what magnifications you can go to? I had a 55mm plossl to try something similar but ended up stalling and sold it. Welcome to send a PM, any info appreciated.  Best regards, S&S.