Go To better without GPS...

The Meade 14 inch LX200, which was kindly bequeathed to us by the late Alan Longstaff, fell foul of the belated 'millenium bug' which has affected lots of GPS-related devices. Before the bug it was sometimes spot on, sometimes not, for setting up the alignment and then 'going-to' objects. Post bug I've just been putting in the time and date and doing a two star alignment. This is so much better than the GPS-based palaver! It takes half as long and gives reliable go-to every time. My previous LX200 10 inch was equally reliable in two-star align mode.

Meade and Celestron have driven themselves nuts trying to make the self aligning telescope and, in the process, have probably driven quite a few of their users nuts as well.

Meade, your semi-manual 2 star align is bliss. Stop right there!!!

Olly

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, rl said:

Nice to hear of a Meade LX with mechanicals lasting so long since the  milennium bug was a relevant issue...

This is not strictly a millenium bug, it struck this year.  https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/8/18255847/gps-week-rollover-issue-2019-garmin-tomtom-devices-affected

I won't be updating my handset since the manual system is so much more reliable than the GPS.

Olly

2 hours ago, andrew s said:

Oh you old luddite @ollypenrice. Bet you can't process your images on an abacus. 

Regards Andrew 

:icon_mrgreen: Give me time....

(This will involve reconfiguring the universe along steady state lines since, of course, the BB universe is rather cramped, time-wise...)

Olly