Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep2_banner.thumb.jpg.e37c929f88100393e885b7befec4c749.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
banjaxed

SynScan problem.

I recently acquired a skywatcher SynScan controller V4 39 05 to make using my AZ Gti Mount easier to use in the dark, but when I connect it the message both axes not responding appears on the screen. Checking the web revealed a few common problems like not enough voltage and connection errors but after checking these suggestions I have ruled them out. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

27 minutes ago, Ronclarke said:

What power supply are you using?

I am using a 12 v 7amp battery which gives a fully charged reading of between 12.8 and 14 volts.

On 30/12/2019 at 01:38, NGC 2419 said:

Maybe try updating to the lastest firmware, 4.39.10, available here.

http://skywatcher.com/download/software/synscan-v4-hand-controller-firmware/

Clear skies!

Just been checking how to update my handset but I am unable to connect to the pc as it needs the right cable. Could anyone please tell me what cable I need. 

I guess it´s the same cable as I have for my HEQ5 Pro : http://skywatcher.com/product/rs-232-cable/  I am lucky to have a serial port on my laptop, so I need no USB to RS232 adapter.

But before you do the upgrade, how did you check the most likely source of failure - the cable from the mount to the handset ? I would suggest replacing it with a standard Cat5 Ethernet cable ("patch cable"), BUT... make sure it is "straight" connected and not "crossed", (compare with the original). I have been using such a patch cable (3 meter long) for years instead of the original curled cable.

Ragnar

Thanks for your reply Ragnar. I bought the cable from Astroboot so it should be ok ? I would appreciate some more information about the Cat5 Ethernet cable you recommend. 

Maurice.

1 hour ago, lux eterna said:

I guess it´s the same cable as I have for my HEQ5 Pro : http://skywatcher.com/product/rs-232-cable/  I am lucky to have a serial port on my laptop, so I need no USB to RS232 adapter.

But before you do the upgrade, how did you check the most likely source of failure - the cable from the mount to the handset ? I would suggest replacing it with a standard Cat5 Ethernet cable ("patch cable"), BUT... make sure it is "straight" connected and not "crossed", (compare with the original). I have been using such a patch cable (3 meter long) for years instead of the original curled cable.

Ragnar

Edited by banjaxed

It's a specific cable for the AZGTi. The Cat 5 is RJ45 to RJ45. This works fine on my AZEQ6 I have found ( @Stu The secrets out!)

The AZGTi cable looks like RJ45 to RJ11, ie big connector to small connector.

Ok, then just forget what I said. I still think the cable (or its contacts) is likely to be causing that symptom.

Ragnar

50 minutes ago, lux eterna said:

Ok, then just forget what I said. I still think the cable (or its contacts) is likely to be causing that symptom.

Ragnar

Ok Ragnar, thank you for your input.

• Like 1

Still confused as to why my handset does not work with a 13.8 volt supply. I suppose it could be the cable, does anyone know if there is a way to test it ?

I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me if there is a way to check if a SW Synscan handset and cable is in working order. Thanks in advance.