Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

So much for Solar Imaging

Nigella Bryant

Hi all, after several weeks of rain, cloud, circumstances I'd thought I'd have a good chance of imaging the sun today. Not so, waited patiently while I expected the sun to pass the trees on my horizon only to find it setting before it cleared all obstacles. Last time I imaged from my new home was several weeks ago and the sun cleared everything by 2pm. Looks like I'll have to wait to Feb/March unless I travel. Here is my attempt today, quite disappointed. 

+. 

Sun 291219.png

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Well done for your perseverance.

It has been 3 weeks since I managed a shot of the sun.

The promised sunny xmas day did not happen here, there was supposed to be a window today, again a no show.

Tomorrow looks good.

I have got a new ITF filter for my Lunt and I am really wanting to see if the image improves.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, JBracegirdle said:

I think your photo looks great, maybe not what you were hoping for but it's better than clouds.

I've not seen any hydrogen alpha images that have included a landscape element before.

Yeah, true, it's interesting I guess as you say, hydrogen alpha images that have a landscape element Thanks for the encouragement. 

• Like 1

I think the juxtaposition looks cool.  You can imagine that as a backdrop in a sci-fi film or computer game.  Just needs a well-positioned silhouette of a Ripley-style xenomorph Alien and the whole mood changes.  If I had photoshop and could use layers I'd try that myself with some stencils from Reddit, but hopefully someone else can!

• Thanks 1

• I actually found a place on the side of my garden that gives me an hour window after 1pm. Only had time to rush through one image of proms after carrying my equipment around the side and set up, I'll be more prepared now. Cutting some hedge ,etc, back may give me a two hour window in the afternoon. At least I'm not having to travel now. Sun still quite low. 

301219-proms-eb3.png

• Like 3

You can nip round and fell my neighbour's trees if you have a moment to spare.

Gone 11am and the daft things are still rocking back and forth in front of my rare H-a sunshine.

Grr? :icon_frown:

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Peter Drew said:

I can get the Sun all day.  If it's clear.     ☁️

You don't get bragging rights from being north of the M25 any more. Not since the fall of Hadrian's Wall.  :wink2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

We have all been there, moving telescopes round the garden, chasing the narrow window in winter.  Sadly my solar telescopes haven't made it back out of storage since sometime last year (or was it the year before?), I forget when, but looking at some of the other posts there has been a few spots to look at, so good luck.

The other option is to drive out to a car park, you get some funny looks, but that is all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...