SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cheap All Sky Camera - if you are interested

bthoven

I've been using this poe almost-all sky camera for over 3 years. It's not as sensitive as the more expensive ones; but it is adequate for me, in a light polluted city (Bangkok, Thailand), just for checking whether the sky is clear or not. I placed it beside my private observatory, and I have an old tablet placed in my house for easy view; even on my mobile phone.

I bought it three years ago at US$85, but now the price is reduced to only $46; so I decided to purchase another one to replace it because the dome is not as clear. Just to let the community know.

I've produced timelapse videos so you guys can see how it performs. Not sure I can post the store link. Just PM me if you are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr69kSNQP8U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ0aicXqQdY

tablet.png

mobile.png

starlight.png

Edited by bthoven
add photos
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, happy-kat said:

I'm intrigued and curious as the price even at the original is very inexpensive.

So am I, so I've ordered one to have a look, and if needs be, see what modifications can be made, to improve quality etc.... 

how well does the housing stand up to being "inverted" with the dome up?

I DIY'd mine using a ip-CCTV module and adapted a housing to suit and that works reasonably well so far. Another cheaper dome housing hasn't faired so well at resisting water ingress so I'll have to pull it apart and see what can be done, one day...

The Sony starvis sensors (assuming that's what this one has)  do a reasonable job at picking up the brighter stars even with the fast minimum shutter speed so like you I find its a handy day/night sky view.

You might be able to polish the dome to improve it, car headlight polishing kits might work for that, but you may also be able to source a replacement clear dome for relatively low $

Edited by DaveL59

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

how well does the housing stand up to being "inverted" with the dome up?

I DIY'd mine using a ip-CCTV module and adapted a housing to suit and that works reasonably well so far. Another cheaper dome housing hasn't faired so well at resisting water ingress so I'll have to pull it apart and see what can be done, one day...

The Sony starvis sensors (assuming that's what this one has)  do a reasonable job at picking up the brighter stars even with the fast minimum shutter speed so like you I find its a handy day/night sky view.

You might be able to polish the dome to improve it, car headlight polishing kits might work for that, but you may also be able to source a replacement clear dome for relatively low $

The internal firmware allows the video invert/flip..... I put it outdoor 24/7 for almost 3 years. No sign of moisture/fog, even during and after heavy rain. The polycarbonate dome itself needs to be polished after almost 2 years of tropical weather. I use Vinol to polish it; but it won't last as long as a new unit. I have to keep polishing it after a few months.

Edited by bthoven

yeah so far mine has been fine in all weathers, no misting or frosting as the CCTV module runs quite warm so acts as its own dew heater 🙂

I have another camera that's in its regular non-outdoor housing with lens that's been running for over a year to monitor the area I put food for the hedgehog, hanging under an old ready-meal tray to keep rain off. I did cover all the case joins and SD slot with dielectric grease and it all still works fine, no frosting or misting up at all.

For my main el-cheapo cam I've used a different poly dome than the original as it was smoked, as well as to improve weather sealing on the inverted CCTV dome rig with a neoprene seal between the lip and the dome body, so far has worked really well. The smaller cheaper housing looks like a seal has failed and unfortunately that one now has condensation coating the inside and after rain has water sitting in the base of the housing. That one's gonna have to come down altogether I think, might be usable to house the hog-cam perhaps but I don't think I'll be running that housing inverted again.

• 1 month later...

Just got a new one to replace the old one. Pls see the timelapse video here:

Europa Cafe' Observatory - Allsky Camera Timelapse Video
I got a fly at 4.16min :)

Latest snapsot from the camera at fullhd

It seems to have a bit more sensitivity than the old one. I can see the Orion belt now.

Before installing, I covered the long slit with black electric tape in order to protect the internal circuits from direct sunlight.

allskycamblacktape.jpg

Edited by bthoven
add photo and amend description