Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Spring (February) 2020 Star Camp

Physopto

Hi Ships and Stars,

Sorry I don't know your name. I have the following comments.....

I think you would get a wider response by starting a new thread.

The NE of Scotland would be a two day drive for at least 3 to 5 of the members who attend the Galloway Star Party, from London, Bridgend in South Wales and the Isle of Man (500 to 550 miles).

The majority of attendees come from the Newcastle and of course from the Greater Manchester areas.

Plus a camp site with electrics would be necessary for the astro gear and computers and of course heating in the winter months. And toilet facilities need to be thought about.

I don't believe the astronomers would be overly happy about setting up in car parks or lay-bys, given the value of the equipment.

Incidentally, there is sometimes a star camp organised that takes place in Perth.

Anyway, we do get members from the Perth area  who come to Galloway Star Party in Kirkinner and who greatly enhance the event with their knowledge and drinking abilities.

So I wish you the best trying to organise a star party.

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 3

Hi all.

I am now in a position to respond to questions about the Spring Galloway Star Camp.

There is some bad news and some reasonable news.

The Bad news :-

For those wishing to  ATTEND  IN A TENT, it is CANCELLED due to the field being completely flooded. It is best to describe it as a quagmire.

The good news:-

For those who booked up to be on the hard standing it will go ahead if they so wish!

So the Star Party is not cancelled completely.

There are about 5 pitches on the hard standing available in all. 1 of which is booked by Jim and Dawn.

So there are 4 hard standings still available.

You must arrange a hard standing place either through Ralph or Lesley ASAP if you wish to attend and please PM me when sorted.

I can't lie and unfortunately the weather is not forecast to be much better during the next week and a half.

I will be attending from the 23rd as I said before.

The reason I could not give any  answer up until now, was that Lesley and Ralph have had a family emergency which I will not discus here on SGL.

I do wish to see all those who can attend.

My  best wishes and commiserations to all those who are disappointed, I am sorry it has turned out this way.

Derek

Edited by Physopto
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Anyway, we do get members from the Perth area  who come to Galloway Star Party in Kirkinner and who greatly enhance the event with their knowledge and drinking abilities.

Wondering who you could be referring to here Adrian. Thanks for the kind words - I do hope you guys get something sorted and weather plays ball. Hoping to get down for the winter meeting.

David

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Physopto said:

Enhance ???🤣

Political correctness 😂

😱 Derek

Oi you, of course we do! "tumbleweed rolls across forum floor"

If nothing else, we enjoy our stay, that seems to rub off on others, we have a laugh, a dram, chat to anyone who'll put up with us. And, when the weather permits, get some great skies and pics. We are like marmite. ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, wackyscot said:

Oi you, of course we do! "tumbleweed rolls across forum floor"

If nothing else, we enjoy our stay, that seems to rub off on others, we have a laugh, a dram, chat to anyone who'll put up with us. And, when the weather permits, get some great skies and pics. We are like marmite. ;)

At last some humour, been missing that for a while with all the bad news. It is one of the most important reasons for the Star Camps. Keep well David. 😃 And yes I know you got a cough 😱. Mike did say you were just jealous of his 😂

Derek

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Incidentally, there is sometimes a star camp organised that takes place in Perth.

Hi Adrian,

Good to hear the Galloway event is still viable for hardstanding pitches.. Thanks for the information above. I'll definitely keep an eye out for the Perth event.

I mentioned I sometimes observe from lay-bys or carparks before I edited my comment this morning, but I was referring to private areas on large Highland estates back a single track with no vehicles at night so it's pretty safe and definitely dark. There's no heat or electric unless your vehicle has something like a diesel heater/leisure battery. Wasn't suggesting people set up imaging rigs along a busy road, sorry, should have been clearer about that in my post. The bunkhouse and carpark I referred to earlier is now a decidedly posher affair, starting at £120 a night (ouch!) and assume for that price it's lit up a lot more now. And has mints on the pillows;)

Just thought it was a shame if it was entirely cancelled due to some (very) wet grass, some folks this way might have a smaller observing session but didn't realise the distances some of the attendees travel. I don't do imaging (yet?) so frequently underestimate the electrical requirements for that as well. 

All the best there and hope this weather breaks for everyone a bit!

PS I removed my earlier comment - glad to hear some of the pitches at Galloway are open for the SP.

Edited by Ships and Stars

Hi Ships and Stars, if you do Facebook, we have a little group called Astronomy Scotland with almost 700 members from all over, not just Scotland. You'd be made most welcome. Some of the folk on there meet up at weekends at various venues around Scotland. As Adrian mentioned we had a mini Star Party at Powrie Park in Abernethy a few years back and were blessed with 3 clear nights which was a huge bonus. 

Best wishes

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, wackyscot said:

Hi Ships and Stars, if you do Facebook, we have a little group called Astronomy Scotland with almost 700 members from all over, not just Scotland. You'd be made most welcome. Some of the folk on there meet up at weekends at various venues around Scotland. As Adrian mentioned we had a mini Star Party at Powrie Park in Abernethy a few years back and were blessed with 3 clear nights which was a huge bonus. 

Best wishes

David

Thanks for the invitation David, I'll join for sure. Abernethy is a lot closer to me as well.

Hope the weather works for everyone at Galloway, I will have to make that trip next year, a bit too much on my plate at the moment, but a really nice part of Scotland, was just working down that way.

Regards,

Robert

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Physopto said:

At last some humour, been missing that for a while with all the bad news. It is one of the most important reasons for the Star Camps. Keep well David. 😃 And yes I know you got a cough 😱. Mike did say you were just jealous of his 😂

Derek

Will give Lesley a call tomorrow Derren (Derek's irish moniker) about the weekend 😉

• Haha 2

I can’t believe I am saying this but, I am not going to be attending Feb GSP.

A few of the reasons being I have a lot of other things on ATM, was really squeezing this event into the diary and would miss being in a tent in Galloway.

I hope the weather turns good for those attending. I will be thinking of you all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Just got around to updating my plans on here.

I contacted Lesley Monday and decided to make it a small break away for myself and Caroline.

We will be on site for the friday and saturday night as the static isn't available until the friday morning.

We will probably stop in wigtown thursday night as I've heard someone mention a B&B.

See those attending soon and be good to catch up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Damian,

There is always the Harbour Inn in Garlieston just 4 to 5 miles from the campsite. (They are on the internet....     https://the-harbour-inn.co.uk    )

I have not stayed there, but a number of us campers have had good meals there over the past few years.

Their drinks are reasonably priced.

I am giving this star party a miss.... booking for October.....

Trust you are in the very best of health.

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Damian,

There is always the Harbour Inn in Garlieston just 4 to 5 miles from the campsite. (They are on the internet....     https://the-harbour-inn.co.uk    )

I have not stayed there, but a number of us campers have had good meals there over the past few years.

Their drinks are reasonably priced.

I am giving this star party a miss.... booking for October.....

Trust you are in the very best of health.

Adrian

Cheers for the suggestion Adrian.

Fortunately Lesley has just let me know the Caravan will be available from Thursday 👍 so sorted 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Forecast is clear after midnight tonight for anyone who has arrived already.

I've lost track of who's attending given the sogginess of the situation :icon_scratch: but here's hoping for some clear skies for everyone this weekend.

I look forward to seeing some lunar images from Damian please.

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Demon Barber said:

Dai, you`ll just upset him,he`s very sensitive ,🤣

Mike

Mike's right, be careful we will need the "Dual Purpose Dobsonian Pie Measuring Device"  available at the Autumn Galloway Star Camp! So Shussssh!

😈

• Haha 2