Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Galloway Spring (February) 2020 Star Camp

Physopto

Yes Jim, we will be there from Sunday 23rd.

Can't before that as van taken by Lynn and Kev. So at least a few days to catch up and chat with everyone.

I am as others are, hoping the weather plays ball!

Two chances and one of them means downing a good few drams 🤣

Derek

• Haha 1

Sorry Derek am a muppet, just seen the dates for autumn one, not on call so can book the full week again, take it easy and catch up soon.

PS Mike, take care and slow down with the house renovations,  aee you Feb m8.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Under a month now to get everything prepped up campers. 

Must check on my power tank and get some water repellent for the small tent leak I had in the torrential Thursday night at last years autumn camp.

Edited by mapstar
  • Haha 3

I have been following the weather reports for Dumfries and Galloway. At present the 16 day forecast shows some rain early in February.  The week after the 3rd is  followed by a period of drier weather, with very low precipitation. Here,s crossing the fingers folks that it goes our way after that date. ☀️🌑

Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Folks,

It is 13 days to the start of the Galloway Spring Star Party...... if you are still trying to make your mind up about coming..... save yourself the agony and just book with Lesley the camp site owner.

It really is a great friendly party, I spoke to Lesley on Tuesday and the site is drying out beautifully after a very wet winter period. She hopes that this weekend's promised storms miss the site.

Some of the regulars arrive before the start and even remain after the end dates, it is so enjoyable.

Some people bring astro gear and more important Whiskey and Jaffa cakes.

Hope to see you all there.

Cheers

Adrian

• Like 2

Thanks for the update Adrian.

I am keeping my eye on the weather and am looking closely at all the different long range forecasts.

I will contact Lesley later on closer to the date. I think it is a bit too early to say much at present.  It  is still two weeks until the 23rd and the actual start of the Galloway Star Camp and plenty of time for the site to really dry out even more. The wind from this coming storm will help the ground dry significantly. I will have a better idea in about  a weeks time, then I will be in a better position to update everyone about our prospects. It would be appreciated if those who attend early can get in contact with me (PM, Text) or via this forum with on site updates.

Just keep praying to the Sun and Fair Weather Gods 😎

I will be there from the 23rd  regardless and hope to see as many faces as possible. Don't know about Jaffa Cakes 🤔, but the "amber nectar" will definitely be around and is a prerequisite to any attendance at  Scotland's Premiere Star Camp warm room,tent,caravan, errr, even the field....🥃🥃😊.

As has happened at many previous Star Camps  there are spells that astound and contradict the weather forecasts giving stunning views of the heavens.

Looking forwards to seeing everyone.

Derek

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Hi Damian,

The weather here in the North East was not so good, but no where near what I think you got.

One double glazed window let in the rain on the west side of the house, never seen that before in 30 + years.

As I said I have been watching the different weather reports from all over. Generally it seems that after the next few days although the weather will be still very windy over in Kirkinner for a while, it comes with a low precipitation expectancy. So as I said it hopefully will dry out the site even more.

Getting closer to the 20th the wind seems to drop off a fair bit.

BUT it is way too early for any meaningful prediction that far ahead.

I live in hope ☀️🌚

Derek

• Like 2

Hi Peeps, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I've just been in contact with Ralph, to check on conditions before I set off, & I'm sorry to say that he tells me that they've had to

cancel the party !!  😪 

as there's just been another torrential downpour, with more forecast....

• Sad 2

Hi John,

Given that the announcement has come from Julian, I would believe that it is true.

i have informed Derek, so awaiting confirmation from Derek in the next 24 hours. 

I have sent a private message to Derek.

It is sad that the weather has ruined a really first class star party.

I was planning on going up this Sunday but given the forecast for wind and rain, I  decided to delay putting the 

roof rack on the car.

Wishing all those who were intending on attending the very best

Adrian

Hi Guys,

Just spoken with Ralf ( 1949hrs 14th Feb 2020), Leslie is away dealing with other business, it is confirmed the SP is cancelled!

They have have had a lot of rain recently and still have storm Dennis to hit, so more rain to come.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. I am sure Derren 😜 will be along shortly to confirm the same.

I would request that SGL members wishing to attend the Star Party would refrain from posting messages about the Star Party being cancelled before I have spoken to Lesley !

If you feel you have new information about the weather and possible cancellations please contact me by PM. Any information about the dryness or otherwise is always welcome.

Yes the weather is bad and expected to be quite severe over the weekend. I had hoped that the wind if possible would have dried out the field a bit, but it does not look that way at present. I have just been informed about the message above in red that the party is cancelled.

Until I speak to Lesley that is not officially the case.

I have been busy elsewhere and was expecting to talk to Lesley tomorrow about our  chances. I cannot do so until Lesley is back on site. I have spoken to Ralph and he does say it looks likely that we will be disappointed. But i must speak to Lesley first.

Please bear with me and I will put out a statement as soon as I can.

Derek

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, westmarch said:

just checking... is this cancellation announcement in the correct thread?  I knew that the SGL meet was cancelled due to flooding but haven’t heard anything from Derek.

Clutching at straws!

John

Hi John,

Yes, correct thread. GSP Feb 2020 is cancelled due to the field being too wet to take heavy traffic.