Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NGC592 (M33) on the 25th Dec 2019

rodrigol

Hi Everyone,

This is my latest try at NGC592 using my C11 EdgeHD w/ 0.7 FR and ASI294MC Pro at -10 degrees C. 70 x 60s Lights and corresponding Darks and Bias frames. All processed with PI. I'm using the Celestron OAG w/ QHY5L-IIM and 0.5 FR. Guiding has improved a lot since I decided to go East Heavy on the CGEM-DX and this is one of the first results. I could have framed M33 better but I did not want to spend time sorting out the guiding. Clouds rolled back at around 9pm and that, and with this, was the end of a beautiful 25th December 2019 in Essex.

Thanks for watching!

light_BINNING_1_integration_ABE_DBE.thumb.jpg.74ee84ac32d80bf02301e131ae92924e.jpg

Edited by rodrigol
Correct wrong NGC number
  • Like 8

Messier 33 is tricky to get right. I think that your image lacks some of the faint parts of the galaxy, maybe you should try and double the time/image or even up to 180-240sec?
I dont know if you lives in a light polluted area? If you do a CLS filter will also help :)
And just to point out, NGC 2403 and M33 are two different galaxies.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks for pointing out my mistake with the NGC catalog number (how embarrassing). It should be NGC 592.  And also for the advise regarding longer exposures and CLS filter. As my guiding improves I hope to get longer exposure at less gain on this camera.

Thanks for watching ☺️

Edited by rodrigol

• rodrigol changed the title to NGC592 (M33) on the 25th Dec 2019

The guiding & tracking look good. East heavy is important, but keep in mind that it makes no difference if/when the scope is pointing due east or west (CW is pointing north). Also, a small balance offset in DEC is a good thing (but this has no effect if the scope is pointing near zenith).

Anyway, you did catch the Ha regions well and also some star colour 👍. I found the blueish stars to be a little green/cyan - this can be corrected with "selective colour" in PS (and surely with some process in PI). Also, star sizes could probably be reduced a bit.

Ragnar

Hi Ragnar, 

Many thanks for the comments. This is what I appreciate enormously about SGL! Compared to my first effort with M33 this one is an improvement and I'm delighted to get advise on how to improve it further. Thank you. 

As soon as the weather permits I'll try the DEC balancing offset. I still need to find what limits my CGEM-DX has...and what gives with the ASI 294 Pro (battling amp glow). It's a great camera but it needs taming. 

Thanks for looking! 

R:) 

• Like 1