Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crayford or Rack and pinion for 80ED focuser replacement

2 minutes ago, Skipper Billy said:

If Mesu made focusers I would buy one in a heartbeat !! Until then R&P every time !!!

The difference may be that the friction drive of a well balanced mount is a fairly low-torque application. A focuser pointing at the zenith with a heavy CCD rig,  filterwheel and reducer-flattener is a pretty high torque application. I'm not an engineer but I have one staying and will see what he thinks. I'm certainly R and P for preference.

Olly

1 hour ago, ollypenrice said:

The difference may be that the friction drive of a well balanced mount is a fairly low-torque application. A focuser pointing at the zenith with a heavy CCD rig,  filterwheel and reducer-flattener is a pretty high torque application. I'm not an engineer but I have one staying and will see what he thinks. I'm certainly R and P for preference.

True. I had a Moonlite on an ED80 loaded up with flattener, EFW2 and 7 filters and an Atik 460 and the focuser had to be tightened to almost cracking the bearings to stop it slipping.  

Its all down to design though - the clutch in my sports car is a friction drive and handles lots of  bhp being side stepped at full revs no problem ! 

8 hours ago, Skipper Billy said:

True. I had a Moonlite on an ED80 loaded up with flattener, EFW2 and 7 filters and an Atik 460 and the focuser had to be tightened to almost cracking the bearings to stop it slipping.  

Its all down to design though - the clutch in my sports car is a friction drive and handles lots of  bhp being side stepped at full revs no problem ! 

Yes, I'm always amazed by clutches. It seems astonishing that they last more than ten minutes...

Olly