Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

John

Ressurection of Zeiss Jena

Impressive design theoretical poly-strehl over a very wide wavelength range. Knowing who is producing I am sure they will deliver close to that spec, but wow the entry price is eye watering for 150mm.

• Like 1

You could buy a sizeable reflector with similar wide spectral range for a lot less, and have money to spare for a very solid mount, camera, filter set, etc. Great Strehl value in a 6" scope is nice, but bigger aperture at slightly lower Strehl beats that, especially when the effects of seeing are included. 

• Like 1

I agree they are eye wateringly expensive and that there are a lot of other, probably more sensible, ways to spend 20K plus euros. It was just interesting to see the Jena name back :smiley:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, william123 said:

.... I don't see a demand for this new quad at the quoted price.  Just how many wealthy amateur astronomers are there, anyway???

Quite a number I suspect. They don't tend to post on forums though, they just get on and buy whatever they feel is the best. £20K is small change to some folks.

45 minutes ago, John said:

Quite a number I suspect. They don't tend to post on forums though, they just get on and buy whatever they feel is the best. £20K is small change to some folks.

Time will tell.  My prediction is that very few of these new quads will sell.  The worldwide market for high-end gear is small, and there is already a lot of competition.

12 hours ago, william123 said:

Time will tell.  My prediction is that very few of these new quads will sell.  The worldwide market for high-end gear is small, and there is already a lot of competition.

I tend to agree.

I'd no problem with your earlier comments either :smiley:

Very very Nice. But out of my budget though. But if there was not a market out there, then I am sure they would not be producing such a high quality high price scope . Zeiss is just quality going by their record. 

Price wise It make's the Tak look like a poor mans scope. And us with the SW ED's then we must be in the bargain basement 😀

Maybe someone will buy me one for next Christmas, we can all dream 🔭 

I’m sure Richard Branson will pick one up with some loose change he has laying arround. 😁

Bit like watching one of those car shows reviewing the latest Ferrari or Lamborgini. Interesting but how many watching could actually afford one. . 🤔

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

Incredible optics. But the price... :ohmy:

I suspect if I win the Euromillions €20k is just a flea bite and I'll be able to let you know how it performs :tongue2:

• Like 1

Think I’d be terrified to use it. Would have nightmares about the first pollen grain appearing on the objective. Or even worse, speck of dust inside. 

14 hours ago, John said:

Do you reckon I could get a discount for two if I chose to knock up the ultimate bino's ?

Think they should loan one to John for evaluation. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind doing a review for them. . 😂😂

Edited by johninderby
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Think they should loan one to John for evaluation. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind doing a review for them. . 😂😂

Let's hope Zeiss sends it so that it arrives in better condition than that SW 150 John got to evaluate a year or two ago 🙂

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 2