Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ressurection of Zeiss Jena

You could buy a sizeable reflector with similar wide spectral range for a lot less, and have money to spare for a very solid mount, camera, filter set, etc. Great Strehl value in a 6" scope is nice, but bigger aperture at slightly lower Strehl beats that, especially when the effects of seeing are included. 

• Like 1

I agree they are eye wateringly expensive and that there are a lot of other, probably more sensible, ways to spend 20K plus euros. It was just interesting to see the Jena name back :smiley:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, william123 said:

.... I don't see a demand for this new quad at the quoted price.  Just how many wealthy amateur astronomers are there, anyway???

Quite a number I suspect. They don't tend to post on forums though, they just get on and buy whatever they feel is the best. £20K is small change to some folks.

45 minutes ago, John said:

Quite a number I suspect. They don't tend to post on forums though, they just get on and buy whatever they feel is the best. £20K is small change to some folks.

Time will tell.  My prediction is that very few of these new quads will sell.  The worldwide market for high-end gear is small, and there is already a lot of competition.

12 hours ago, william123 said:

Time will tell.  My prediction is that very few of these new quads will sell.  The worldwide market for high-end gear is small, and there is already a lot of competition.

I tend to agree.

I'd no problem with your earlier comments either :smiley:

Very very Nice. But out of my budget though. But if there was not a market out there, then I am sure they would not be producing such a high quality high price scope . Zeiss is just quality going by their record. 

Price wise It make's the Tak look like a poor mans scope. And us with the SW ED's then we must be in the bargain basement 😀

Maybe someone will buy me one for next Christmas, we can all dream 🔭 

I’m sure Richard Branson will pick one up with some loose change he has laying arround. 😁

Bit like watching one of those car shows reviewing the latest Ferrari or Lamborgini. Interesting but how many watching could actually afford one. . 🤔

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, johninderby said:

Think they should loan one to John for evaluation. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind doing a review for them. . 😂😂

Let's hope Zeiss sends it so that it arrives in better condition than that SW 150 John got to evaluate a year or two ago 🙂

Edited by JeremyS
  • Haha 2