SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Christmas astro gifts

dannybgoode

I bought a 9x50 Right Angle Sky-Watcher finder, an RA motor and a Seben 9-24mm eyepiece. Unfortunately the motor wasn't in stock and I'll have to wait something like 2 more weeks.

(a somewhat late) Merry Christmas to you all! :)

On 25/12/2019 at 16:14, Stu said:

Vaguely astro related in that I hope to do some astro projects with it once I've got the hang of it.

Also got a nice astro calendar from my children.

20191225_123648.jpg

20191225_123627.jpg

We bought the smaller version for our 11-year old godson.  Auntie Helen managed to get it set up with him, and we worked through projects 1-4 (controlling led lights) to get his confidence up.  A bit fiddly, but the instructions are pretty good, so hoping he'll be able to carry on (he's in Leeds so I can't just pop in..).  I tried to reassure his non-techy Dad that it would be fine if they just followed the detailed instructions.  

It was good to see him engaging though 🙂

Let us know how you get on @Stu

Helen

• 3 weeks later...
On 26/12/2019 at 09:10, dannybgoode said:

We’ve had Orlando booked for nearly a year now but only told babybgoode (well he’s 7 1/2 now) yesterday. 

Got two days booked at Kennedy. One with him and one on my own so I can geek out in peace. On the day I’m going in my own I’ve booked the lunch with an astronaut thing. Very excited :)  

Great fun for you! I have been to Kennedy Space Center a half dozen times in the 90s thru 2007, on our drive back up north from vacationing in S. Florida. It is certainly a wonderful place to see once, but not sure IMO, if it merits flying overseas to see. LOL. As far as Disney World, you could not get me near such a crowded  and over-priced place willingly, even were all the various admissions free. But that is just me. A lot of people obviously do like it. Personally, when in Florida, I always preferred the not-so-crowded beaches, nature trails (such as around Cocoa Beach), Loxahatchee National Preserve, the Gulf side islands and exploring the Keys.
We would pack up the kids and luggage, leave the February 20 degree F temp (or lower) and two feet of snow behind us, driving the full 24 hours straight, all the while experiencing the temperature get warmer and warmer as we went further south, until finally, at our destination, we would arrive to 85 degree F, sunny skies and palm trees.

Edited by RAR_MI_USA

7 minutes ago, RAR_MI_USA said:

Great for you. I have been to Kennedy Space Center a half dozen times in the 90s thru 2007, on our drive back up north from vacationing in S. Florida. It is certainly a wonderful place to see one time, but not sure IMO, if it merits flying overseas to see. As far as Disney World, you could not get me near such a crowded  and over-priced place willingly, even were all the various admissions free. But that is just me. A lot of people obviously do like it. Personally, when in Florida, I always preferred the not-so-crowded beaches, nature trails (such as around Cocoa Beach) and exploring the Keys.

On 26/12/2019 at 11:37, Jiggy 67 said:

My wife got me a couple of desk items.... a moon globe lamp

440E12F7-C653-46F7-9FAD-38AEEB4981EA.thumb.jpeg.f316c5031bcfdb00f776ca5c0f48569a.jpeg

And the planets in different kinds of stone

31930CB3-9DCF-4E4B-8A59-7B2A352F29BD.thumb.jpeg.9b2b625932ed5afea36a7677e5e440b9.jpeg

Quite pleased with both of them

I like the lamp. Does that one adjust in brightness? I have see some advertised that are touch adjustable.

1 hour ago, RAR_MI_USA said:

I like the lamp. Does that one adjust in brightness? I have see some advertised that are touch adjustable.

Yeh there’s a little button at the back where you can change brightness and....colour!!.....you can change it to a bluish color. I love it, best present I got

13 hours ago, RAR_MI_USA said:

Great fun for you! I have been to Kennedy Space Center a half dozen times in the 90s thru 2007, on our drive back up north from vacationing in S. Florida. It is certainly a wonderful place to see once, but not sure IMO, if it merits flying overseas to see. LOL. As far as Disney World, you could not get me near such a crowded  and over-priced place willingly, even were all the various admissions free. But that is just me. A lot of people obviously do like it. Personally, when in Florida, I always preferred the not-so-crowded beaches, nature trails (such as around Cocoa Beach), Loxahatchee National Preserve, the Gulf side islands and exploring the Keys.
We would pack up the kids and luggage, leave the February 20 degree F temp (or lower) and two feet of snow behind us, driving the full 24 hours straight, all the while experiencing the temperature get warmer and warmer as we went further south, until finally, at our destination, we would arrive to 85 degree F, sunny skies and palm trees.

Yeah for the money if it were just me there’s a million places I’d go before Disney but for our nearly 8yo it’s the pinnacle. And we’ll still enjoy it as a family (plus I’d be lying is I said I wasn’t far more excited about Star Wars Galaxy’s Edgd than a middle age man should be :) ). 

We’ll try to get out into the Everglades as well at least and do a bit off of the beaten track stuff but my wife ever since we meet has wanted to take her eventual child to Disney, we have the money so we’re doing it. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/01/2020 at 15:48, Jiggy 67 said:

Yeh there’s a little button at the back where you can change brightness and....colour!!.....you can change it to a bluish color. I love it, best present I got

I just bought myself one of those moon lamps. However, my 4 year old grandson caught a glimpse of it, and needless to say, he is now the proud owner. All's well, as he will probably be my star gazing / telescope companion in a few years, as he has been showing an interest in the planets since he was two..

Edited by RAR_MI_USA
add
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, RAR_MI_USA said:

I just bought myself one of those moon lamps. However, my 4 year old grandson caught a glimpse of it, and needless to say, he is now the proud owner. All's well, as he will probably be my star gazing / telescope companion in a few years, as he has been showing an interest in the planets since he was two..

Worthwhile sacrifice if it keeps him interested........shame though, it’s a lovely lamp 😄

• Like 1