Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Astro-Geek

Metal or Wooden drawer unit in Obervatory ?

At last I have my permanent observatory, (the Pod in my Avatar is no longer wishful thinking 🤓).

I'm aiming to get a pedestal type drawer unit to store my eyepieces and other bits and pieces in and I wondered what experience people have had with Wood versus Metal as regards condensation ?

I would line the drawers carefully with closed cell foam and dividers and the Pod has good ventilation around the dome as standard.

I'd prefer metal for security (it would be locked), but could revert to a wooden pedestal if people's experiences proved them condensation-prone.

Metal.

Wood absorbs humidity and expands. You would have to ensure that all surfaces are sealed (varnished).

As for condensation, you will be storing your EPs inside plastic "bottles" and have a sachet of silica gel in each one. So condensation won't be an issue.
I don't think security would be something to worry about at that level. Once a bad person has gained entry to your obsy, the battle is lost. And they wouldn't be looking for the things you consider valuable, anyway.

Oh yes one more thing, wood isn't rodent-proof 😬

Edited by pete_l
  • Like 1

I bought one of those plastic drawer sets which does't rust, doesn't absorb moisture and doesn't expand in the damp or heat.

Carole 

• Like 3

Thanks for the prompt reply Pete.

I'd certainly prefer metal to wood anyway, I must admit.

I can appreciate your thoughts on most domestic Burglars not realising that many (small) eyepieces are worth a great deal more than a lot of (large) expensive looking OTAs.   I'm therefore avoiding keeping a nice posh case in there loaded with a collection of eyepieces that would be so easy to "grab and go"... 😧

6 minutes ago, carastro said:

I bought one of those plastic drawer sets which does't rust, doesn't absorb moisture and doesn't expand in the damp or heat.

Carole 

I'll probably have one of those in there as well, for things like leads and dew heaters etc..

Thanks for the toolchest suggestions, very neat, as you say.

Before I bought my Skypod, I used something similar for my eyepieces, a flight case with drawers. (picture attached)

Now that they will be kept in the Pod though, I wanted something a little less "grab and go" 🙄.  The thought of a casual "shed" type opportunist burglar taking off with my entire collection of eyepieces and diagonals was quite a concern.  (call me paranoid...)

I thought a small filing cabinet would be less attractive to carry off than a tool chest, being much more bulky and heavy.

I was fortunate to pick up cheaply secondhand a good quality metal Bisley pedestal unit with 4 drawers, three of them being an ideal depth for astro bits and pieces....

bisley 4 drawer pedestal.jpg

flaight case drawer unit.jpg