Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

Yes eagerly awaiting my beta test unit. 🙂

Yes it will be able to be controlled by a Nexus DSC but I will initially be using just planetarium software and WiFi. It is the mount control software that they are working on now.

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone here any experience mounting a Newt on an AZ100? On CN I've seen a 115 cm Newt mounted on there AZ100 and that looks possible.

The Newt options I've come up with are: 

BS 10" (length 95 cm) weight 11.5 kg 
BS 12" (length 110 cm) weight 18 kg.

My main concern for the 12" is the weight however the extra aperture would mean not needing a larger aperture for some time.

I already have a AZ100 so why buy a Dob mount, especially as I have push too....

Why not buy a Dob, well these are Boren-Simon Newts and run at F2.5 which is great for NV usage and can be used in prime mode so no long stack attached to the focuser.

Thanks

@Deadlake, have you bought that NV monocular yet? ;)

@Captain Magenta uses a 12” scope on an AZEQ6 so that would be similar in terms of capacity and viewing experience (minus the tracking of course) biggest negative I can think of is the eyepiece height varying a lot more than with a dob, or at least being pretty high at the zenith. May not be an issue if the tube is relatively short though.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Stu said:

@Deadlake, have you bought that NV monocular yet? ;)

@Captain Magenta uses a 12” scope on an AZEQ6 so that would be similar in terms of capacity and viewing experience (minus the tracking of course) biggest negative I can think of is the eyepiece height varying a lot more than with a dob, or at least being pretty high at the zenith. May not be an issue if the tube is relatively short though.

Yes indeed I use my 12" f/5.3 on an AZ-EQ6 in Alt-Az mode. I do need a small 2-step for objects high up, but IIRC I almost never need to use the 2nd step (I'm 6'1").

Cheers, Magnus

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Already posted on night setup thread, here’s my new AZ100 setup… it’s been moved onto my iOptron Tri-Pier… rock steady, whilst focusing or even pressing my eye firmly against the eyepiece. A noticeable step up from the Uni 28 (which is now home to the Vixen GP) 👍

FF23D8D0-26D8-4BB1-8A40-0FB91A2D1D27.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, johninderby said:

I thought the Uni tripod was really solid until I moved to the Planet. Now I know what rock solid really feels like.

Agreed… the Planet and Tri-Pier have the same payload capacity and weigh about the same too 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Already posted on night setup thread, here’s my new AZ100 setup… it’s been moved onto my iOptron Tri-Pier… rock steady, whilst focusing or even pressing my eye firmly against the eyepiece. A noticeable step up from the Uni 28 (which is now home to the Vixen GP) 👍

FF23D8D0-26D8-4BB1-8A40-0FB91A2D1D27.jpeg

This is the mount/tripod combination that I have as well and I am incredibly pleased with how solid it is.

I've even gently kicked the legs and seen negligible vibrations in the eyepiece.

The AZ100 and Tri-Pier is a forever setup for me.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

hi to everyone here.

beautiful set up with that ioptron 😉 my AZ100 sits on a UNI 18, feels quite sturdy to me. But wonder how the planet would feel...(yeah i love wood)

Anyway i put my hands on a used AZ100 with DSC pro a few weeks ago and so far it worked very well. But as i'm just starting with that beautiful mount, i'm seeking for advices and tips because it is not that user friendly as other az mounts i tried.

First the balancing seem absolutely criticial with this mount and a bit hard to get. it is so smooth that even the slightest movement of the scope forward or backward on the saddle unbalances the scope (Altair 125edf). I had to "invente" new techniques to get the balance done 😄  and still not perfect yet.

How do you do yours? Just note that i have no cw and that my scope is on the right side of the mount. thx

• Thanks 1

If the mount is properly adjusted balancing should be easy and not over sensitive. Being a used mount you never know how it may have been misadjusted.

Having the clutches adjusted properly makes a difference. A touch of altitude lock may help. Also set the balance with the scope at 45 degrees not horizontal which would make getting balance harder.

CW aren’t needed with the AZ100 fpr smooth operation. You would only use a CW if the tripod was unstable because of the weight of the scope.

I first used the AZ100 with a UNI18 and thought it was really solid then when I got the Planet it was in a different league. Just so much better than the UNI and zero vibration.

My AZ100 with a 125 APO.

C47A6BEC-B71E-4A7E-9E63-048ABCCE8918.jpeg

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Having the clutches adjusted properly makes a difference. A touch of altitude lock may help. Also set the balance with the scope at 45 degrees not horizontal which would make getting balance harder.

This is exactly what I do now... before I also had things set to "loose" and balanced horizontally, which made keeping it balanced almost impossible... now I can change eyepieces most of the time without resorting even to using the altitude lock (although I do tend to put a little on just for safety). I've not used a counterweight yet (although I have one and the bar), because I mostly use it with two scopes. As @johninderby says, I would imagine it would only used if you had a particularly heavy scope on one side only and to stop it tipping sideways.

A Uni 18/28 is very usable, but the Planet or Tri Pier is a very noticeable step up in solidity 👍

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Having purchased this brilliant mount in September 2020 I like many others have been eagerly awaiting the availability of the retro fitting motor drives. My original decision to purchase was based on the motors as I am keen to add tracking for EAA purposes. Other than brief updates on the progress of this development all has gone quiet recently. Does anyone have any info or rough idea when the motors will be available to purchase ?

5 minutes ago, steve k said:

Having purchased this brilliant mount in September 2020 I like many others have been eagerly awaiting the availability of the retro fitting motor drives. My original decision to purchase was based on the motors as I am keen to add tracking for EAA purposes. Other than brief updates on the progress of this development all has gone quiet recently. Does anyone have any info or rough idea when the motors will be available to purchase ?

I am currently attempting to test the tracking motors but the weather and opportunity has not been ideal unfortunately. Progress is being made, I believe a firmware update is due soon so I will retest once I’ve installed that. I don’t know how far away the chaps are from releasing though, I’m sure they will comment on here soon, I would guess at least a few months.

• Like 2

From Derek’s message this morning sounds like real progress is being made with some updates due very soon.  The updates to the alignment procedure will be very useful in particular. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, johninderby said:

From Derek’s message this morning sounds like real progress is being made with some updates due very soon.  The updates to the alignment procedure will be very useful in particular. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Where did Derek post the message to which you are referring, please? 

Thanks., 

bsdsgl84

Edited by bsdsgl84