Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

10 minutes ago, Alan White said:

But does not a red tripod have an invisibility cloak when lit with a red torch? 🤣

Well, the mount is so nice to use that it kind of "disappears" when you're observing with it.  With a red light and red tripod, the tripod will disappear too 🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AdeKing said:

I thought it probably was a typo, but then it kept getting quoted and I thought I'd missed something.

Thanks for clarifying.

Shows how much I know Ade, I requoted B-Pod because I didn’t know any different! Have looked up T-pod now….

• Thanks 1

Just carried my fully assembled and legs extended Uni 28 + AZ100 from gge to patio. Chucked on the Tak TSA 120. No counterweight. Viewing Jupiter at high mags almost immediately (what no cool down ? 😎). Works perfectly, gentle movements of slow mo.Bliss. 👍🏻

• Like 6

16 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Just carried my fully assembled and legs extended Uni 28 + AZ100 from gge to patio. Chucked on the Tak TSA 120. No counterweight. Viewing Jupiter at high mags almost immediately (what no cool down ? 😎). Works perfectly, gentle movements of slow mo.Bliss. 👍🏻

Just like the T-Rex then :thumbright:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, John said:

Just like the T-Rex then :thumbright:

Can I be cheeky John and mention dual mounting capability? That’s the one thing the AZ100 has that I really value and stopped me hanging out for a T-Rex. I use it frequently, especially for White solar and Ha scopes side by side.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Can I be cheeky John and mention dual mounting capability? That’s the one thing the AZ100 has that I really value and stopped me hanging out for a T-Rex. I use it frequently, especially for White solar and Ha scopes side by side.

Not something I do but valuable for those that want to !

Joking apart, are these single product threads really beneficial for the forum as a whole ?

There are a number of things discussed in this thread that would have application and relevance to many mounts but I suspect it only really attracts AZ100 owners or prospective owners.

Just a thought !

Back out to Saturn and Jupiter with the LZOS 130 / 9.2 now. 300x - 350x is holding up very well so the conditions are top notch :smiley:

Pi Aquilae was very interesting at 600x earlier :grin:

• Like 2

On 20/09/2021 at 04:32, Deadlake said:

I have a AZ100 (thanks @garryblueboy) and need a tripod for it. Primary use will be LZOS 130/F6 (11.5 kg) and a Vixen SD103S (6 kg). So far usual tripod suspects: 

• Uni 18 (weight 8 kg, £470)
  • Planet ( weight 11 kg, £655)
  • T-Pod 130 ( weight 6.9 kg, £750, direct from Avalon)

The Uni 18 is the cheapest option and close in weight to the T-Pod, but would not be as stable.

However do I need the extra capacity of either the T-Pod or Planet, would I be over buying?

Before some people start, wood is great however alumium is lighter.

Do take the point about wood not freezing your hand off at the end of the night.

Added: Do I need to think about a riser or pillar for any of the above tripods. I know Rowan will make a shorter pan handle if requested.

Thanks

Avalon TPOD 130 with custom riser and with the shorter pan handle made by Rowan it’s all good.

9CF738AA-D2F9-42F5-A226-0185823B7924.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Deadlake said:

What scope (weight) are you using with it?

A Celestron 8” Edge HD and a Televue NP127. It was the refractor that necessitated the riser so that it could point to the zenith with a fully racked out focuser without the diagonal hitting the tripod. I had ADM Accessories make me the riser which is 6” high, 5” wide, and is hollowed out inside to minimize weight it weights 5.25 pounds. It has an EQ6 compatible bottom that attaches to the EQ6 adapter on the TOPD.

4 minutes ago, swsantos said:

A Celestron 8” Edge HD and a Televue NP127. It was the refractor that necessitated the riser so that it could point to the zenith with a fully racked out focuser without the diagonal hitting the tripod. I had ADM Accessories make me the riser which is 6” high, 5” wide, and is hollowed out inside to minimize weight it weights 5.25 pounds. It has an EQ6 compatible bottom that attaches to the EQ6 adapter on the TOPD.

With the AZ100 have you used any other tripods at all, wondered what the stability was like?

1 hour ago, swsantos said:

... I had ADM Accessories make me the riser which is 6” high, 5” wide, and is hollowed out inside to minimize weight it weights 5.25 pounds. It has an EQ6 compatible bottom that attaches to the EQ6 adapter on the TOPD.

Hello @swsantos

I am interested in getting one of those 6" risers from ADM that you mentioned, but I don't see it listed at the ADM site - can you provide a link, please? 

Thanks!! 

bsdsgl84 

Edited by bsdsgl84

5 hours ago, Deadlake said:

With the AZ100 have you used any other tripods at all, wondered what the stability was like?

My last tripod was a Berlebach Uni 24 when I was still using the Nova Hitch. Switching to the TPOD gave me better stability but the biggest reason was I find it easier to carry outside and use once there, I just feel it is a better overall tripod than the Uni was. My Uni had single leg clamps the TPOD has two that I feel are just better than clamping on wood. I just like a metal tripod a lot.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bsdsgl84 said:

Hello @swsantos

I am interested in getting one of those 6" risers from ADM that you mentioned, but I don't see it listed at the ADM site - can you provide a link, please? 

Thanks!! 

bsdsgl84 

He custom made it for me to my specifications and it’s not on his site. Anyone interested would have to contact him directly about it. 

This is a link to my more detailed Cloudynights post about the riser

A matching riser to any mount always looks right, that ADM special certainly looks nice, I bet the Rowan team would make a super one if the demand was high enough though.

This is a thinking aloud thing, not a top secret being spilled.

Edited by Alan White

31 minutes ago, johninderby said:

There is always the Orion riser. Same as the SW but in black..

This actually the SW one but ainted back.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Orion-7394-Atlas-Telescope-Extension/dp/B0069VZ6QW

F81A55FF-C03E-4FD8-A030-53A5F29364D3.jpeg

The Orion riser looks great with the Berlebach and I had thought about the Orion but they are unavailable, not one piece, not anodized aluminum like my TPOD, too tall for my purposes, and I wanted it wider than the AZ100 aesthetically. Also my impression is that the top of the Orion is flat and I wanted the riser to have a cut out on the top to accommodated the 2.6” protrusion on the bottom of the AZ100.

34 minutes ago, Alan White said:

A matching riser to any mount always looks right, that ADM special certainly looks nice, I bet the Rowan team would make a super one if the demand was high enough though.

This is a thinking aloud thing, not a top secret being spilled.

I mentioned it to Dave the other day so it might be something they look into. They’ve got a lot on though so likely not top priority. It’s certainly something I would like to have, and matching the mount would be fab.

• Like 1