Jump to content

30sec_exposures_2021.jpg.48851b1871a4bf9500ebd53c3e790d81.jpg

 

 

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread


johninderby
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hello all.  Any feedback on buying and using the Rowan “handle”.  I’ve not gone for it so far as using the scope to move the mount around. 
Worthwhile addition ?? 
 

TIA. John 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello all.  Any feedback on buying and using the Rowan “handle”.  I’ve not gone for it so far as using the scope to move the mount around. 
Worthwhile addition ?? 
 

TIA. John 

I've got the handle and it's great stops me grabbing the diagonal to move the scope. If you have the DSC shelf then the handle can only be fitted on the left or it clashes with the shelf.

Steve

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Telescope40 said:

Hello all.  Any feedback on buying and using the Rowan “handle”.  I’ve not gone for it so far as using the scope to move the mount around. 
Worthwhile addition ?? 

 

59 minutes ago, Steve Clay said:

I've got the handle and it's great stops me grabbing the diagonal to move the scope. If you have the DSC shelf then the handle can only be fitted on the left or it clashes with the shelf.

Same here, the handle is very useful and when fitted on the left (the only option as Steve says when the DSC shelf is fitted), the handle ends up very near to the slow motion control ends, so provides both types of control in a convenient location.

Just be aware it will affect the balance slightly, as it is moderately heavy.

Yes, I find it a worthwhile addition 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I bought one for my C11 but to be honest the movement is so smooth (fingertip/no effort) I think it’s going to be surplus to requirements. The scope and mount are on a planet tripod. Rock steady. The slow motion controls are also fantastic, so much so that the Mount zero I also have feels “stuck” in comparison (need to work out how to adjust that).

I came close to getting the tpod (which looks like a work of art) to save a few pounds in weight but have no regrets with the planet: no grating noise when you extend the legs, no counterweight required (a big win for me) and it’s actually more manageable than expected. I also picked up a padded builders type bag from B&Q for £25 which is a perfect fit for the AZ100. I’ll stick some photos on later this week.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Trentend said:

I came close to getting the tpod (which looks like a work of art) to save a few pounds in weight but have no regrets with the planet: no grating noise when you extend the legs

The t-pod is the only tripod I know of with a built in handle. Should gain some followers here... 😀 Agree on the scope zero, needs some more fine motion controls. I wonder when the AZ50 is coming out???

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here’s the bag I’m using for the mount. I’ve left a piece of the dense foam that came with the AZ100 to line the bottom. Highly recommended plus plenty of pockets for other bits and bobs. The photo is a bit misleading as it makes the bag look much larger than the mount but in reality there’s just a couple of inches spare all around.

 

837B83FD-D3CC-465F-9157-E0BEBC6F066F.jpeg

EE08704C-5F3C-4947-A9E1-E3EBECEEA924.jpeg

Edited by Trentend
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Delivered earlier today 🎉🎉🎉

IMG_20210616_230046.thumb.jpg.aff11842d230cac674108f0e969ed9ce.jpg

However, opening the boxes released the clouds contained within so no chance to put it through its paces yet.

FIrst impression was OMG that's a lot bigger and heavier than I was expecting.

Can't wait for a clear sky to have a play and put it through its paces.

Edited by AdeKing
Spelling
  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Delivered earlier today 🎉🎉🎉

IMG_20210616_230046.thumb.jpg.aff11842d230cac674108f0e969ed9ce.jpg

However, opening the boxes released the clouds contained within so no chance to put it through its paces yet.

FIrst impression was OMG that's a lot bigger and heavier than I was expecting.

Can't wait for a clear sky to have a play and put it through its paces.

Lovely stuff Ade. Right on cue, it started to rain the same day that arrived! 🤣🤣

They’re chunky fellows aren’t they!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, Stu said:

Lovely stuff Ade. Right on cue, it started to rain the same day that arrived! 🤣🤣

They’re chunky fellows aren’t they!

Hi Stu,

Yes, the FLO warning on the box proved correct and clouds were indeed released.  So many in fact that I had to wait for them to clear to see what was in the box, well that's what it feels like anyway.

The mount is indeed "Chunky" though I have to confess that it does look like it will be nice and stable for any scope that I'm ever likely to mount on it, which was part of my reason for saving up and spending so much on it.

Starting to save for the iOptron Tri-Pier now, but in the meantime the 2" CG-5 tripod with pillar mount seems stable enough.

Once an iOptron pier adaptor arrives, I'll be able to mount it on the Berlebach Uni 18 that I use for the my AZ Pro as its far too much faff to keep removing the tripod legs and swapping the Berlebach top plates over.

Interestingly, like the CG-5 the AZ100 fits into the well of my HEQ5 16" pillar extension top plate and just needs an M12 bole to secure it.

Ade

 

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, AdeKing said:

Delivered earlier today 🎉🎉🎉

IMG_20210616_230046.thumb.jpg.aff11842d230cac674108f0e969ed9ce.jpg

However, opening the boxes released the clouds contained within so no chance to put it through its paces yet.

FIrst impression was OMG that's a lot bigger and heavier than I was expecting.

Can't wait for a clear sky to have a play and put it through its paces.

Hope you don't have to wait too long to discovers how good it is Ade....:thumbsup:

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Hope you don't have to wait too long to discovers how good it is Ade....:thumbsup:

Me too Steve.  Had a quick play with it this morning pretending to align on stars that I couldn't see and the alignment procedure seems easy enough.  I also like just how many different catalogues are on the Nexus DSC, particularly when it comes to double stars.  I can see this rapidly becoming the mount that is left permanently set up on my pillar mount, even though it doesn't yet track. 

A bit nervous to know how much the GoTo/Tracking combo will cost when its released as I know that I'll want it, need to look at what body parts I can sell next 🤔 😀

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One day possibly. I know I’ve said it before but the little mak is so good. Crystal clear views of the moon straight away. No cool down, no collimation etc…I’ve also found with the Binotron if I take out the OCS from the diagonal I get 3 more powers (much lower mag) so that’s 6 with just one eyepiece pair. Like having a panoptic 60mm…

One thing I need to check on the mount is which side to fit the saddle. At present it’s on the left which I think Rowan recommend if having just one heavy scope but the fittings for viewfinders etc are then upside down. Hoping it’s ok to swap sides.

Only other point noted is to get balance with the mak and binoviewer (very heavy at the primary mirror end) I had to move the scope a long way down the saddle and then only one of the clamps was holding the scope in place. I think the ADM saddles are better because the whole clamps moves in and out as adjusted (not sure if I’m describing that correctly).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve found having the dual clamping parts on each saddle do clamp better than the ADM with it’s single clamping surface plus the Rowan clamps are much better made than the ADM ones anyway. You will notice that most of the high end brands of saddles now use dual clamps. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, johninderby said:

I’ve found having the dual clamping parts on each saddle do clamp better than the ADM with it’s single clamping surface plus the Rowan clamps are much better made than the ADM ones anyway. You will notice that most of the high end brands of saddles now use dual clamps. 

I don't own one of these mounts, but I bought two of the dual clamps directly from Rowan, for my side by side set up on my EQ8, and yes, they are superb, and I have tried a few brands including ADM…👍🏼

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Trentend you can always have the finder bracket on the underside and turn the finder round instead, can give some good positions which works for me with my VC 200. Nice to hear from another Denk user too - the power switch makes the binos very effective compared to e/p swapping and buying pairs. 

On the clamps: 365 Astronomy do a very economic and effective Vixen double clamp which fits the Rowan tappings (M8 35c/c). Good alternative for for lighter scope side. It has 2 independent brass clamps as opposed to the 2 screw/ 1 clamp designs.

IMG_20210418_185256 (2).jpg

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Trentend said:

One thing I need to check on the mount is which side to fit the saddle. At present it’s on the left which I think Rowan recommend if having just one heavy scope but the fittings for viewfinders etc are then upside down. Hoping it’s ok to swap sides.

I swapped sides on my C8, so it should be doable for the C11. It can be a challenge to figure out which fasteners can be safely undone (you should be ok with the domed ones and the grubscrews, but leave the countersunk ones alone). You will also need imperial size Allen keys. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Trentend said:

One day possibly. I know I’ve said it before but the little mak is so good. Crystal clear views of the moon straight away. No cool down, no collimation etc…I’ve also found with the Binotron if I take out the OCS from the diagonal I get 3 more powers (much lower mag) so that’s 6 with just one eyepiece pair. Like having a panoptic 60mm…

One thing I need to check on the mount is which side to fit the saddle. At present it’s on the left which I think Rowan recommend if having just one heavy scope but the fittings for viewfinders etc are then upside down. Hoping it’s ok to swap sides.

Only other point noted is to get balance with the mak and binoviewer (very heavy at the primary mirror end) I had to move the scope a long way down the saddle and then only one of the clamps was holding the scope in place. I think the ADM saddles are better because the whole clamps moves in and out as adjusted (not sure if I’m describing that correctly).

I have the same issue with my C9.25 on the AZ100 too. The finder is inconveniently at the bottom and the focus knob awkwardly placed above the eyepiece.

It might be possible to switch the dovetail plate from the bottom of the OTA to the top. But that would be a pain as the current configuration works well with the C9.25 on my AZ EQ 6

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Oldfort said:

I swapped sides on my C8, so it should be doable for the C11. It can be a challenge to figure out which fasteners can be safely undone (you should be ok with the domed ones and the grubscrews, but leave the countersunk ones alone). You will also need imperial size Allen keys. 

Do you mean you swapped the saddle from one side of the AZ100 to the other? I presume you find it’s ok? As @Trentend commented, the instructions recommended not swapping the saddle 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, JeremyS said:

Do you mean you swapped the saddle from one side of the AZ100 to the other? I presume you find it’s ok? As @Trentend commented, the instructions recommended not swapping the saddle 

No, I kept the scope on the left, and moved the finder so that it wasn’t on the bottom. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 18/06/2021 at 15:46, Oldfort said:

No, I kept the scope on the left, and moved the finder so that it wasn’t on the bottom. 

Just to be clear, here's a couple of pictures.

2021-06-18 18.01.51.jpg

2021-06-18 18.01.28.jpg

Edited by Oldfort
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, johninderby said:

I’ve found having the dual clamping parts on each saddle do clamp better than the ADM with it’s single clamping surface plus the Rowan clamps are much better made than the ADM ones anyway. You will notice that most of the high end brands of saddles now use dual clamps. 

The problem I have with the Rowan saddle is, although it’s dual, only one of the clamps is doing anything with the other redundant as the scope/kit needs to be high up the rail to balance. Very nice made kit though and am sure it’s secure (famous last words) but I’d prefer the whole surface to grip.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.