Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ100 Mount Owners Thread

johninderby

On 01/06/2021 at 14:43, swsantos said:

For those of you who might be using an AZ100 on an Avalon TPOD, I would assume that an 8" Edge SCT would be able to reach the zenith but would a Televue NP 127 also be able to reach the Zenith and not hit the tripod legs without a riser?

I already have the EQ6 12mm adapter for the AZ100. If I need a riser, apart from a custom made one, what might be an appropriate stock riser that already 12mm threads?

Thanks,

Steve

The Edge does reach the zenith (although the panhandle does not as it is a bit long) as expected but the NP127 does not, especially with the panhandle, which is long and will need a riser.

Edited by swsantos
  • Like 1

On 16/06/2021 at 04:19, Deadlake said:

The t-pod is the only tripod I know of with a built in handle. Should gain some followers here... 😀 Agree on the scope zero, needs some more fine motion controls. I wonder when the AZ50 is coming out???

My AZ100 is on a TPOD130 and it is awesome. I actually sold a Berlebach UNI24 a while back once I got the TPOD because I like the TPOD better. Yes the handle is nice on the TPOD, so nice in fact that I was able to find the supplier of the stock handle and bought two more for the other two legs and now each tripod leg has its own handle. Makes it easier to carry.

7 hours ago, swsantos said:

My AZ100 is on a TPOD130 and it is awesome. I actually sold a Berlebach UNI24 a while back once I got the TPOD because I like the TPOD better. Yes the handle is nice on the TPOD, so nice in fact that I was able to find the supplier of the stock handle and bought two more for the other two legs and now each tripod leg has its own handle. Makes it easier to carry.

Any chance of a picture of the az100 on the tpod?

Steve

• Like 1

On 14/06/2021 at 21:20, Steve Clay said:

If you have the DSC shelf then the handle can only be fitted on the left or it clashes with the shelf.

Do people realise that the mounting hole on the DSC shelf is offset? Take it off the ball joint and the shelf plate can be turned round to offset it right or left. 

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Steve Clay said:

Any chance of a picture of the az100 on the tpod?

Steve

Using the Avalon EQ6 adapter for the 12mm mounting hole. The panhandle does hit the tripod so will need a riser to clear it for it to point to the zenith with the panhandle attached. Note the extra carry handles on the TPOD130. It comes with one but was able to find additional stock handles identical to the one that came with it so now there is a carry handle on each of the legs. There are threaded holes on each of the legs to accept carry handles but the tripod only comes with one. They are Elesa bridge handles part number M.443/110-CH-C9

IMG_2933 (Large).JPG

Edited by swsantos
  • Like 7

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, Alan White said:

A question for the AZ100 owners, I still hanker to be one. 

Has anyone left one outside on a pier and just covered?

If so how is it holding up?

I have no doubt it will be fine, but just asking.

Mine lives outside on a tripod, with just a black bag covering it.  It's not quite outside in that it's on a balcony, which has a roof, but it is often windy enough for the rain to be blasted horizontally on to the tripod & mount.  I've had no problems with this after about 4 months.

• Thanks 1

As the current AZ100 needs only to have encoders fitted, rather than motors and motorboards as on a go-to mount, it will be pretty resilient on a pier. The mount materials and stainless steel fixtures are durable. However for any mount kept outside the critical item is the durability of the cover and some measure to prevent condensation inside. Views differ on whether to provide heat, a dessicant, ventilation or a combination of these ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Alan White said:

A question for the AZ100 owners, I still hanker to be one. 

Has anyone left one outside on a pier and just covered?

If so how is it holding up?

I have no doubt it will be fine, but just asking.

Very nice as the AZ100s are, if you are permanently mounting on a pier, I wonder If an equatorial might be better. Just a thought, Alan.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

As the current AZ100 needs only to have encoders fitted, rather than motors and motorboards as on a go-to mount, it will be pretty resilient on a pier. The mount materials and stainless steel fixtures are durable. However for any mount kept outside the critical item is the durability of the cover and some measure to prevent condensation inside. Views differ on whether to provide heat, a dessicant, ventilation or a combination of these !

In my case, I have removed the cover quite freqently, and replaced it from time to time.  I expect I will bring the mount inside from October to April.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Very nice as the AZ100s are, if you are permanently mounting on a pier, I wonder If an equatorial might be better. Just a thought, Alan.

Why would that make any difference Jeremy? I guess the benefits of a pier are stability and no requirement to setup/breakdown each time, and that can apply just as much to an AltAz mount as an EQ even though you don’t need to polar align.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Why would that make any difference Jeremy? I guess the benefits of a pier are stability and no requirement to setup/breakdown each time, and that can apply just as much to an AltAz mount as an EQ even though you don’t need to polar align.

Permanently aligned manual EQ means that you only need to use SLO mo in one axis compared with AZ, where you need to SLO mo both axes. Thus a little easier.
If driven EQ (AZ100 not currently driven, but will be in future), simply switch the drive on and away you go: it will track anywhere without further alignment.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Permanently aligned manual EQ means that you only need to use SLO mo in one axis compared with AZ, where you need to SLO mo both axes. Thus a little easier.
If driven EQ (AZ100 not currently driven, but will be in future), simply switch the drive on and away you go: it will track anywhere without further alignment.

I get that completely Jeremy, but not everyone gets on with EQ mounts for visual. You have the AltAz benefit of the eyepiece staying in the same orientation rather than rotating around.

I do like EQ mounts for visual when I’m concentrating on one or two targets eg doing a long lunar, solar or planetary session where you can get comfortable at the eyepiece and the position changes slowly over the session. Outside that, I prefer AltAz.

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Stu said:

I get that completely Jeremy, but not everyone gets on with EQ mounts for visual. You have the AltAz benefit of the eyepiece staying in the same orientation rather than rotating around.

I do like EQ mounts for visual when I’m concentrating on one or two targets eg doing a long lunar, solar or planetary session where you can get comfortable at the eyepiece and the position changes slowly over the session. Outside that, I prefer AltAz.

Yes, each to their own Stu. I prefer AZ for set-up-every night or portable observing. My AZ 100 is perfect for that. But for permanently set up, I’d choose a driven EQ with goto that works from the flip of a switch, can go anywhere in the sky in a few secs and then track for as long as I want.

Depends what style of observing Alan wants to do. Just thought he should be aware of the pros and cons. 

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Yes, each to their own Stu. I prefer AZ for set-up-every night or portable observing. My AZ 100 is perfect for that. But for permanently set up, I’d choose a driven EQ with goto that works from the flip of a switch, can go anywhere in the sky in a few secs and then track for as long as I want.

Depends what style of observing Alan wants to do. Just though he should be aware of the pros and cons. 

I think all I was saying is that there is no reason not to permanently mount an AZ100 if that’s what you want to do.  You get the benefits of stability and quick setup without having to move the mount around. If you like AltAz mounts then it’s the best of both worlds. Totally understand if there is still a preference for EQ but as an example I had an AZEQ6 semi permanently mounted in my garden for a while in AltAz mode and it really increased the amount of use it got by saving the setup time.

Really not trying to be argumentative, although I’m sure it seems that way, sorry! 🤣🤣

• Like 4

Finally been able to get a couple of free nights this week and it was clear too… mostly lunar and planetary, so have had these two side by side on the AZ100. It behaves perfectly with two refractors onboard and absolutely solid and stable on the Uni 28 👍

Takahashi heaven 😀

Just need some more clear nights again soon 🤞🔭

468B9E10-E052-4134-B60D-5FA665D99AB2.jpeg

• Like 6

Just now, HollyHound said:

Finally been able to get a couple of free nights this week and it was clear too… mostly lunar and planetary, so have had these two side by side on the AZ100. It behaves perfectly with two refractors onboard and absolutely solid and stable on the Uni 28 👍

Takahashi heaven 😀

That setup makes me want to weep!

In a totally good way! 🤣

Two Taks, an AZ100, and a Berlebach. Several marriages made in heaven there 👍🏻

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think all I was saying is that there is no reason not to permanently mount an AZ100 if that’s what you want to do.  You get the benefits of stability and quick setup without having to move the mount around. If you like AltAz mounts then it’s the best of both worlds. Totally understand if there is still a preference for EQ but as an example I had an AZEQ6 semi permanently mounted in my garden for a while in AltAz mode and it really increased the amount of use it got by saving the setup time.

Really not trying to be argumentative, although I’m sure it seems that way, sorry! 🤣🤣

Not argumentative at all Stu. We’re just sharing views, which is what SGL is all about 😊👍🏻

(But  it does support my suspicions about what new equipment is due to arrive at Stu Towers 🤣👍🏻)

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Not argumentative at all Stu. We’re just sharing views, which is what SGL is all about 😊👍🏻

(But  it does support my suspicions about what new equipment is due to arrive at Stu Towers 🤣👍🏻)

Well, put it this way, I shall likely be adding to this thread, but won’t be mounting it on a pillar 😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, JeremyS said:

I had my suspicions already, but will you be a tracking beta tester one wonders?
And I do think the AZ100 on a tripod is the best option and looks the nicest as well.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Alan White said:

I had my suspicions already, but will you be a tracking beta tester one wonders?
And I do think the AZ100 on a tripod is the best option and looks the nicest as well.

I’ll also be tracking @Stu’s Escape to the Country as he relocates from Stu Towers to Chateau Stu 😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Takahashi heaven 😀

Vertically-launched eyepieces too, I like it!

• Like 1

Looking at the above discussion if you didn't have setup time for an EQ mount to budget for, what are the pro's the AZ100 brings? 

The AZ100 lacks goto which is a dis-advantage for the the planets season, the main plus I can see are: 

• Side-by-side telescope mounting.
  • Good for bino-viewers (no rotating around for the EP's to fall out). 
  • Easier to move. 

Any others?

• Like 1

A few answers from me, to get the pro's flowing

• Push to, if encoders fitted and the DSC, which is very nice indeed.
  • No Polar alignment needed.
  • Its superbly made in the UK.
  • The load capacity.
  • Tracking, who needs it? If your used to Alt Az that is.
  • Its quiet in use, so you can enjoy nature around you.

Planet season? are we refering to the Tripod by any chance 😉

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 3