Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

OMG - There's actually a Sunspot!!

niallk

I had a look a few hours ago with my PST + DS. Some nice Plage around AR2757 plus another Plage area going South. A few Proms around the edge. Put a solar filter on my 80mm finderscope using a 10mm Celestron DUO Ep - I could see the main spot but not much else. I really could do with a larger scope to view the Sun in white light.

• Like 2

thanks Neil but sadly its not my image, its off this site https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/ I forgot to add a credit.

ive had a look today but could not get any data as its very cloudy here but on the live view look nice if a bit fazy there quit a bit of activity around the spot and a large prom on the upper oncoming limb if you get chance for a look. charl.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

thanks Neil but sadly its not my image, its off this site https://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/ I forgot to add a credit.

ive had a look today but could not get any data as its very cloudy here but on the live view look nice if a bit fazy there quit a bit of activity around the spot and a large prom on the upper oncoming limb if you get chance for a look. charl.

Just goes to show how good your images are that I never considered that it wasn't your image! Still appreciate you sharing. Glad you managed to get a look in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

I had a look a few hours ago with my PST + DS. Some nice Plage around AR2757 plus another Plage area going South. A few Proms around the edge. Put a solar filter on my 80mm finderscope using a 10mm Celestron DUO Ep - I could see the main spot but not much else. I really could do with a larger scope to view the Sun in white light.

Mark,

90% of my WL observing is with an old WO ZS66, it struggles a bit with some of the v small stuff and doesn't really show true granulation but it's all I need most of the time.

Ade

39 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Mark,

90% of my WL observing is with an old WO ZS66, it struggles a bit with some of the v small stuff and doesn't really show true granulation but it's all I need most of the time.

Ade

Thanks Ade. To be honest I fancy buying an Astrozap Baader filter to use on the 150P Newt you sold me.

The spot is still visible on the limb. I almost missed it. Focus seems to be critical to being able to see it or not. Slightly off and it disappears. When the seeing is good, I can see a dark spot with what looks like light tendrils coming off of it. I’m not sure of the correct term for them. Looks really good. 

On the subject of granulation in smaller apertures, with my 80mm scope I see some granulation (macro granulation?) but have not been able to see anything that I would describe as a cell like structure. Not sure, if that’s me, conditions or simply needing more aperture. 

• Like 1

I considered rolling the roof off the observatory, but despite the fact that it is in quite a sheltered position, the anemometer is fairly steadily recording winds over 10mph so I don't think I'll bother.

James