Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Goodbye to a Great Scope

niallk

My wife is pretty tolerant of me.  I keep 4 scopes in the house, one of which is an assembled 15" truss dob :)

However, there have been a few comments about the amount of kit I have, and it seems like I should compromise a bit.  I won't store my 10" in the shed - the mirrors will quickly deteriorate I'd say, and no doubt the structure will accidentally get damaged.  I've thought about selling, but just don't like the idea of haggling a price that might leave me feeling empty inside.  So I've come around to the idea of just giving it to a good home.

I've seen so much with it: it has been the best astro money I've spent.  A family near us will get great pleasure from it now I hope, and share in some of the wonder and awe I got from it.  It has been collected in time for Christmas morning 🎅

I've given it with a Telrad, dual speed focusser upgrade, dew shield,  TS 31mm plossl, TS 15mm 70° 'super wide', and a TS 9mm plossl to get them started.  I can give them a hand to collimate etc, but gonna hold onto my Cheshire 😃  It has encoders installed for an Argo Navis unit, but I'm not giving that away either ;)  I've given my copy of Turn Left at Orion also - on extended loan, but maybe for good.

Goodbye to my trusty SW 250px - it really has been great fun, and you'll hopefully bring joy to more folk now...

20191223_170344.thumb.jpg.7579cb4a68dd169cb28bfe1784945f6b.jpg

• Like 27

Read the title and came in having a picture in my mind of a Takahashi sailing towards the twilight in a viking ship, while the astronomers at the beach shined their laser pointers at it to torch it into eternal glory....

Anyway that's an excellent gesture. I have faced the same dilemma, but I wasn't as brave as you, I just gave it to a student as a very long term loan. Bravo Niallk!

• Like 1

Wow, what a great Christmas prezzie.

niallk "Goodbye scope and Telrad, dual speed focusser upgrade, dew shield,  TS 31mm plossl, TS 15mm 70° 'super wide', and a TS 9mm plossl". 😢

Happy Family "Hello new  scope and Telrad, dual speed focusser upgrade, dew shield,  TS 31mm plossl, TS 15mm 70° 'super wide', and a TS 9mm plossl😊

Scope "I'm not happy I keep getting bashed" 😡

Nice one niallk.

Edited by Mick H
  • Like 1

Cheers- at this stage, I got my money's worth - no question!  And I remember collecting it from the post office on first day thinking what have I done??  And creeping downstairs like a Christmas morning to admire it on the 2nd day :)

The best testament I can give to anyone considering a 200p or 250px dob is that it grabbed me and inspired me to later pursue a 15" dob - a big investment, which I just love.

We only get one life, and to really see (a part of) the universe with one's very own eyes is such a precious thing.

• Like 6

So what you're saying here is that we should just bypass the 10" and go straight for the 15"?  Had thought about that myself a few years back, and unfortunately the dilemma is almost the same - I wouldn't store it in the shed for the same reasons, and we'd have to step over / around the thing every time we wanted to get out of the house.

My compromise was an 8SE, I suppose I could stretch to a 12" SCT, still storable in the house!  :evil6:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jonathan said:

So what you're saying here is that we should just bypass the 10" and go straight for the 15"?

😂 Well, as they say - aperture rules ;)

The 1.5x step was very noticeable for me.

Nah, no matter what you have, it's all just about being lucky enough to be able to get out there and catch those magical dark, transparent, steady nights.

Edited by niallk
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 23/12/2019 at 12:51, niallk said:

My wife is pretty tolerant of me.  I keep 4 scopes in the house, one of which is an assembled 15" truss dob :)

However, there have been a few comments about the amount of kit I have, and it seems like I should compromise a bit.  I won't store my 10" in the shed - the mirrors will quickly deteriorate I'd say, and no doubt the structure will accidentally get damaged.  I've thought about selling, but just don't like the idea of haggling a price that might leave me feeling empty inside.  So I've come around to the idea of just giving it to a good home.

I've seen so much with it: it has been the best astro money I've spent.  A family near us will get great pleasure from it now I hope, and share in some of the wonder and awe I got from it.  It has been collected in time for Christmas morning 🎅

I've given it with a Telrad, dual speed focusser upgrade, dew shield,  TS 31mm plossl, TS 15mm 70° 'super wide', and a TS 9mm plossl to get them started.  I can give them a hand to collimate etc, but gonna hold onto my Cheshire 😃  It has encoders installed for an Argo Navis unit, but I'm not giving that away either ;)  I've given my copy of Turn Left at Orion also - on extended loan, but maybe for good.

Goodbye to my trusty SW 250px - it really has been great fun, and you'll hopefully bring joy to more folk now...

20191223_170344.thumb.jpg.7579cb4a68dd169cb28bfe1784945f6b.jpg

You could always consider giving the wife to a good home. LOL. Obviously I am joking. Your gift to the family down the way is a kind and generous gesture.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RAR_MI_USA said:

You could always consider giving the wife to a good home. LOL. Obviously I am joking. Your gift to the family down the way is a kind and generous gesture.

Ha ha - never thought of that option ;)

Yes, a very kind and generous gesture.

I once considered giving a SW130 on EQ2 motor driven mount to my wife's young (25) work college as she couldn't afford and desperately wanted a scope of her own. But when my wife told me she happily spends £200+ a week in the pub I changed my mind 😯

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hertford Stargazer said:

Yes, a very kind and generous gesture.

I once considered giving a SW130 on EQ2 motor driven mount to my wife's young (25) work college as she couldn't afford and desperately wanted a scope of her own. But when my wife told me she happily spends £200+ a week in the pub I changed my mind 😯

Sounds like she likes doubles :D

Edited by niallk
  • Haha 2