SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Solstice solace.

cotterless45

Thanks to ever depressing forecasts , I drew the curtains and settled down for the duration. Going outside , there was a sparkling dark sky , wow. Setting up in double time with a band of broken clouds  to the west , soon got cracking .

The seeing was bad , couldn't break through 1.3". But the transparency was just ace . Got a grip of the dust lane in M82 before searching around the Messier'sIMG_7371.thumb.JPG.00201718cae00b83b00300cbeab9163c.JPG. Open clusters just sparkle with clear sky. The Eskimo Nebula was really bright, as were M44 ( praesepe) and a bright NGC 2841 ( +9.3) galaxy in UMa. Got out the PSA and galaxy potted around UMa.

Very pleased to get Σ1374 (SAO 61629) ( Leo Minor)and the wonderfully contrasty visual pair σ2 ( SAO 14788) in UMa. Talitha once again eluded me. 

A great waft of clouds moved in , leaving small areas clear . Hoping for better 

Clear skies ! 

Nick.

Our son arrived , although caring about terra firma , asked where the bright red star had gone. Pointing at Betelgeuse, now hardly standing out . Here's hoping for something awesome .

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Nice session Nick, thanks for posting. 

Seems an age since my scope pulled in any starlight. Still keep reading the reports even though I've not made any contributions for this winter. 

Hopefully betelgeuse will brighten again but as yet I've not seen it due to clouds. 

• Like 1