Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Binoculars for a youngster

Thanks to a last minute drama in the next couple of hours (if they're to potentially arrive in time to go under the tree) I need to work out what binoculars to get for a youngster to use. Something that can be used unsupervised when the seeing is good but I'm not about to get the newt out.
Given age of the user, weight is a big consideration. And from a bit of mooching through this part of the forum, I gather going for 7x over 10x with the exit pupil advantages is likely to be a case of 'less is more,' - have I understood that correctly?

Budget is under £70.

This is my shortlist currently:
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/modern-binoculars/helios-mistral-wp3-42mm-binoculars.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/helios-fieldmaster-8x40-binoculars.html
https://www.firstlightoptics.com/all-binoculars/opticron-imagic-tga-wp-7x50-binoculars.html

On the weight front it looks like the Helios Mistal WP3 8x42's or Fieldmaster 8x40 are a good amount lighter than the next alternatives - 625g vs. 805g for the Opticrons.
Anything else I should consider?

1 hour ago, Second Time Around said:

Check the interpupillary distance (IPD).  This may not go small enough for a child to close each barrel enough to merge the field of view.

I'm sure others will come along with ideas for specific models.

That's a good point, and one I hadn't considered. I've taken a quick measurement ('it's to do with your telescope, don't worry about why I'm holding a ruler across your nose,' being the only explanation proffered) and it seems that we should just about be okay.

I hit the time limit for getting them ordered with a chance of them arriving before Christmas so I went with the Mistral WP3 8x42mm; it was a judgement call, but lighter is better seemed to be the sensible decision. It may be at some point in the future we add a heavier duty pair on a tripod but as a cheap and cheerful set hopefully they'll do.

Not sure if there's much weight difference - if any with the 7 and 10x50s. A lot of people say a pair of 10x50s are more than enough to handhold... So for a young kid, maybe they'll be too heavy.  If you are keen on goin for a 50mm then certainly go for the 7's, the lower mag will reduce the shaking of the image.

8x42s might be your best bet. They are still very cabable of picking out some nice DSOs and with the wider FOV they might be easier for a youngster to use...

I've always found the Olympus Dpsi range to be great value for money...

Mark

Edited by mark81

On 23/12/2019 at 14:47, mark81 said:

Not sure if there's much weight difference - if any with the 7 and 10x50s. A lot of people say a pair of 10x50s are more than enough to handhold... So for a young kid, maybe they'll be too heavy.  If you are keen on goin for a 50mm then certainly go for the 7's, the lower mag will reduce the shaking of the image.

8x42s might be your best bet. They are still very cabable of picking out some nice DSOs and with the wider FOV they might be easier for a youngster to use...

I've always found the Olympus Dpsi range to be great value for money...

Mark

I'd already ordered the Mistral 8x42mm before your post but they've arrived and seen a bit of action last night (and during the daytime.) Propped against a wall I was able to have a fair look at the Pleiades, but for childrens use they were right on the upper limit of what I think most kids can manage handheld. I have got a tripod mount adapter en route too so I don't think it'll be an issue either way, but the comments about weight really are worth considering if anyone else finds themselves in a similar situation.

I'm going to read up on how to check the collimation on them having never owned a pair of binoculars before, but on initial daytime (and brief nighttime) use I'm really impressed. And my eldest seems happy too with the FoV, commenting on how much more can be seen compared to the 6" newt. So I feel like we've done alright with them.

• Like 1