Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

178MM for Solar Scout 60

JBracegirdle

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking of adding a mono camera to my collection. The 174MM seems to be the preferred option for solar, but I don't think it will give me a full disk image with 930 effective focal length, and with a focal reducer will be undersampling.

I like the option of the Solar Scout 60 -> Astro Essentials 0.5x 1.25" Focal Reducer -> ZWO 178MM it seems to fit my budget and get the full disk with a good pixel size and ok frame rate. I like that it could also be used on my 90mm Mak for the moon. What do you think?

My other thought is the popular ZWO 1600MM that wouldn't need the reducer, but is much more expensive, and doesn't have as high a frame rate. I also like the idea of saving something like the ZWO 1600 for later down the line as it could be used for DSOs, lunar and solar, but I'm not ready to upgrade my mount just yet.

Edited by JBracegirdle
Typo

Don't know if I can answer, but I can sure add to confusion :D

How about 183mono?

It has pixel size of 178mm, but the size of 174mm (or even a bit more), it will fit whole disc and people use it for DSO imaging

image.png.548dad690327add2988f78ad159effd4.png

• Like 1