Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Hour Glass Nebula and other Winter Delights

scarp15

Whilst we wait, poring over plans marking targets on charts, yearning for a dark clear sky at this late period in the year.

Alas if there ever is a dark sky opportunity, there is so much to encounter at this time of year.

NGC 2346, the Hour Glass Nebula in Monoceros, also known as the Butterfly Nebula, is a binary star. Observing this Planetary at mid power with an OIII or UHC filter, a fuzzy halo around a bright star is discerned, higher power may start to reveal a more oblong shape and perhaps with averted vison two lobes begin to become apparent. Given the opportunity, I would like to study this subject at high power.

Continuing in Monoceros, there is the  Rosette Nebula and a myriad of open clusters including NGC 2244 embedded within the centre region. Low power and an OIII or UHC filter gains the structure for this large emission nebula. A subject I would like to explore with my 8" dob and 31mm Nagler, 41 Panoptic.

High up in Auriga is much to explore, the clusters of course and IC 405, The Flaming Star to try to resolve. A particular challenge I would like to have a go at is for IC 417 a diffuse nebula known as The Spider Nebula.

Just a snippet based upon a long drawn up list ranging a diversity of subjects to revisit and explore in detail or discover anew.

Share your thoughts on any of these and your own aspirations, whilst we wait.

Edited by scarp15
grammar
  • Like 5

Hi

NGC 2346, I will be using my Lumicon O-III filter, as this gains clarity in profiling this fuzzy glow. Either of my two dobsonian's; 8" or 14", this is an object that on a few occasions I have been able to observe with increasing magnification and would like to emphasis studying at high power.   

There just might become a possibility for venturing out for a few hours on Tuesday night, if lucky and works out fine with family arrangements, in which case I will take along my VX8L dob. Typically the forecast is complex favouring the coastal stretch, less favourable north westerly, the direction I would prefer to travel.

Would be interesting to take a look at M1 with high power to, after Gerry's recent intriguing account.

Thomas Edison's quote referring to 1% inspiration, 99% perspiration, when born to stargazing sometimes makes sense, you hardly need to be a genius to understand that much of the applied time is used in research alone. 

• Like 2

I'd be interested in your findings.

Unfortunately, the weather here is too 'complex' for a planned remote session at the moment! Have been quite inspired by this thread as I don't venture into the Monoceros region much and with very dark skies a very short drive away, (or a walk with a dob on a sack truck), these seldom talked about visual targets are intriguing.

After many years of observing I am ashamed to say that M1 is the only DSO I am familiar with from your list!

• Like 1

Cheers, there is a window of high pressure predicted for tomorrow night before wet and windy weather follows. Monoceros region is host to NGC 2264, which is in part, the Christmas Tree Cluster.

It would be interesting to take a look at Betelgeuse with all the talk concerning it dimming. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beulah said:

I'd be interested in your findings.

Unfortunately, the weather here is too 'complex' for a planned remote session at the moment! Have been quite inspired by this thread as I don't venture into the Monoceros region much and with very dark skies a very short drive away, (or a walk with a dob on a sack truck), these seldom talked about visual targets are intriguing.

After many years of observing I am ashamed to say that M1 is the only DSO I am familiar with from your list!

Complexity is predicting a clear sky forecast to have shifted to around midnight, which is no good. Hope for better circumstances across the UK at the start of next year and for some accounts observing into Monoceros. 

• Like 1

Nice selection, Iain.  Whilst in Monoceros I love to take a look at Hubble’s Variable Nebula, NGC 2261.  Exciting to see if there’s any discernible change from the last observation, although as my drawing is so poor it’s fairly hard to tell!!

I always wonder how this didn’t make it into the Messier catalogue given just how bright and comet-like it is.

• Like 1