Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

CentaurZ

Penumbral Lunar Eclipse - 2020 JAN 10-11

A Penumbral Lunar Eclipse will be seen by many observers with clear skies in Eurasia, Africa and Australia during the night of 2020 JAN 10-11. The Earth’s penumbra is its relatively bright fringe shadow surrounding its much darker inner shadow called the umbra. At maximum eclipse, 89% of the Moon’s diameter will be covered by the penumbra. The Moon’s nearest limb to the umbra will miss it by 12% of the Moon’s diameter. Often a penumbral lunar eclipse is hardly noticeable, but this time the Moon will be deep enough in the penumbra that some shadowing should be detected.

2020 will be an unusual year in which there will be four lunar eclipses, and all of them penumbral. The next umbral eclipse will be total and occur on 2021 MAY 26.

Below is a graphic I created for the upcoming penumbral eclipse as seen against an imaginary blue wall to make the shadow fully apparent. The predicted event timings are in Universal Time (UT), but will occur at essentially the same real time for all observers experiencing nighttime. The depicted orientation and Moon altitudes are for an observer in London.

Photos and descriptions of the eclipse would be welcome additions to my similar thread in the forum for Observing-Lunar.

Lunarama2001.JPG.9f1ed327443aab1281cfd8b4563aa611.JPG

Edited by CentaurZ

It started about 20 minutes ago, but won't reach maximum until 19:10 UT.  This is a fairly deep Penumbral Lunar Eclipse, so at maximum some darkening should be noticed.

On either side of the eclipse, this Full Moon will be the brightest Moon this year.

Unfortunately, those of us in North America are shutout, due to this being daytime with the Full Moon beneath the horizon.

Again, photos and descriptions would be welcome in my similar thread at the forum here for Observing-Lunar.

Edited by CentaurZ

Clouds here, typical, nice Moon last night :(

Dave

Was clear here when the Moon rose, but it's getting progressively more cloudy :(

James

At sunset was quite clear, getting a bit hazy at the moment. I'll have a butchers at ingress but consider the clouds may win.

I notice the full Moon when I went out an hour ago but it's almost fogged out by high cirrus now. Not that I was expecting much anyway.

Stepped outside here and could see through cirrus that the southern edge of the Moon was slightly dimmer. Took this photo through my bridge camera (x60) at 18:40.

P1090762.JPG

Edited by Plane38
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I can see the Moon again, but I think there's just too much cloud and haze to be able to spot anything definitively attributable to the eclipse.

James

There is a definite naked eye shadow on the moon here! Delighted to have caught it!

Paul

• Like 2

Ah!

Just popped back outside. There's still quite dense haze but I could definitely see a dimming at the 5 o'clock position. So all was not lost.

• Like 2

I have a good view of the eclipse. It's awfully boring for an eclipse. One side is a little darker. Just a little.

(Used 8x42 binoculars)

• Like 2

Nice view here too, naked eye darkening around the 4 o’clock / SE as I look at it.

No cameras set up though but might get the bins out.

• Like 1

Good views here too, DSLR and SA set up for imaging, Mak is out for visual, very subtle eclipse but nice to have caught it.

• Like 2

Nice here, thin cloud but not too bad. Caught this with the S9 through my 72mm, correct way round now.

Added another with a better colour balance I think.

20200110_192754.jpg

PSX_20200110_193934.jpg

• Like 5

Zoomed iPhone shot...

D463805C-056C-4D4E-82E4-58F38CD61514.jpeg.831bf1850faeaef91c688c2d9bb253cc.jpeg

• Like 2

Looking great in Norwich. Clear shadow naked eye and through frac. Little snap for scrapbook :) B5F3ED18-29C2-4493-9946-B78D7F01B66F.thumb.jpeg.833a1434436a97d3a4294b908281c3d3.jpeg

• Like 4

Obvious, but a little boring!

Mind you, more evidence that nights are only clear when there is a full moon - as it is the first clear night for yonks.

Chris

• Like 2

Thanks to all who participated, especially those who provided photos. Here in America the eclipsed Moon was beneath the horizon. At that time I was following the stock market which sank from midday all-time record highs for the averages to losses at the close. Financial astrologers would blame that on the eclipse. 😉

The next lunar eclipse on 2020 JUN 05 will again be penumbral and visible in the Old World but not the New World. 

But a month later on 2020 JUL 04, we in America will be treated to a bright and beautiful Full Moon that goes into penumbral eclipse during our Fourth of July (Independence Day) fireworks celebrations. 😎

• Like 2