Narrowband

First light ASI 533 MC Pro - M35 and IC 410

geeklee

First light on 17th Dec and my first dedicated astro camera with the ASI 533 MC Pro.  The moon was starting to rise when IC 410 was capturing and my inexperience with Apt has got poor framing 😕, but some faint data is coming through for a low integration time.

Equipment - Sky-Watcher 80ED DS Pro, 0.85x FF/FR, ASI533 MC Pro.

Software - PHD2, Captured in Apt, integrated and lightly processed in APP and Affinity Photo

I started imaging Deep Sky in October with an old DSLR although have some experience with Lunar - all comments and advice very welcome.  I'm conscious of the low integration times - the constant clouds and desire to get *something* captured made me plough on🙂 

M35

60 x 30s, 110 x 60s (with Flats, Darks, Dark Flats, BPM), -10degC, defaults in camera - Gain 100 (unity) & Offset 70, Bortle 5/6
NOTE: I noticed that something had gone very wrong with the stacking of the previous.  While comparing it to one with more data I saw it seemed to have duplicated parts of the image elsewhere.  This one should be more accurate.

M35-55x60s-Proc2-JustAPP-10BG-3Sig-0B.thumb.jpg.7572fdbc48b70b5a126433024483e422.jpg

IC 410

24 x 300s (with Flats, Darks, Dark Flats, BPM), -10degC, defaults in camera - Gain 100 (unity) & Offset 70, Bortle 5/6

IC410-24x300s-Proc2.thumb.jpg.ad82761a3ee0051836b3e0816ccf32c7.jpg

Edited by geeklee
Found stacking issues with first M35
  • Like 18

Very nice indeed to say you have really only just started in this most frustrating of hobbies.I,m sure you will only grow and grow as you progress.

I must say I think the response to this post has been poor.

Well done.

Mick.

Edited by astro mick
  • Like 1

On my setup i use the 533 pro for colour & i have 2 atik CCDs - 1 for narrowband/luminance & a guider run through the atik software.  Your image is pretty good considering you were imaging with clouds rolling in

Ive just got this camera & cant wait to get imaging with it.  Ive been struggling to get any images off it using NINA.  So ive downloaded SG pro instead, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, astro mick said:

Very nice indeed to say you have really only just started in this most frustrating of hobbies.I,m sure you will only grow and grow as you progress.

10 hours ago, wimvb said:

Great start in AP. What does "BPM" stand for? 

8 hours ago, Andy274 said:

On my setup i use the 533 pro for colour & i have 2 atik CCDs - 1 for narrowband/luminance & a guider run through the atik software.  Your image is pretty good considering you were imaging with clouds rolling in.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.  In hindsight it was perhaps best this post sat in the Getting Started in Imaging.

I've had (and continue to have) plenty of frustrating and comedic moments - in equal measures - but that feeling when you finally capture data, integrate and do first stretch...

The imaging (previously I'd been solely observing) started with the Back Garden Astronomy week in S@N magazine.  I did some sloppy wide field stuff with a DSLR and a tripod and was hooked... 

Edited by geeklee

Nice images and thank you for posting them

I have the 183mm Pro and am looking to replace this with a 533pro as the terrible weather means i only shoot Luminance to maximise my imaging time 

Did you use any of these new duo band filters ?

if the weather improves i may try these targets to get a comparison but looking at these i am more convinced that a 533 is right for me . It will be on my SW ED72pro

Edited by mikemabel
question
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, mikemabel said:

Nice images and thank you for posting them

I have the 183mm Pro and am looking to replace this with a 533pro as the terrible weather means i only shoot Luminance to maximise my imaging time 

Did you use any of these new duo band filters ?

if the weather improves i may try these targets to get a comparison but looking at these i am more convinced that a 533 is right for me . It will be on my SW ED72pro

I haven't used a duo-band filter yet, but it's on the wish list.  Very nice image here from Ivo with the 533 and ZWO duo-band:

Edited by geeklee

yep i know him from APT but its nice to see an image from a local astronomer as i imagine your skies are like mine usually

awfull interspersed with a cold clear night once a month. Lets hope 2020 is better !

APT has caused me a few headaches lately with "busy" messages and non detection of the 183 

but from starting with a 450D the jump to a dedicated camera is amazing

All the best

Mike

2 hours ago, mikemabel said:

yep i know him from APT but its nice to see an image from a local astronomer as i imagine your skies are like mine usually

awfull interspersed with a cold clear night once a month. Lets hope 2020 is better !

APT has caused me a few headaches lately with "busy" messages and non detection of the 183 

but from starting with a 450D the jump to a dedicated camera is amazing

All the best

Mike

Yep, that weather sounds about right - especially recently.  Tag me if you end up hitting the same targets with the 183 - be interesting with the smaller pixels and wider FoV.  Should turn out lovely.

Agreed on the jump from a DSLR (admittedly not modded).  One of my frustrations was the lack of computer control as it was an old, entry level Nikon. 

Lee

By the way, Ha regions imaged in RGB or OSC can be considerably enhanced in Photoshop by going to Image, Adjustments, Selective Colour and lowering the cyans in red. Sometimes the effect is nothing short of spectacular. I don't know Affinity Photo but it might have an equivalent.

Olly

• Like 1

Nice work .

The IC410 has come out particularly well considering you are shooting it RGB without a Duo-bi-tri-filter thingy.... of which people report good things.     You have got the 'tadpoles'.

This camera is on my list for the future.   Mono is great for many reasons, but the ability to get that one-shot  'all action'  facility in a cooled camera with a good sized frame and ROI ....   is very appealing for eclipses, planets, comets and the like.   

Keep the shots coming.

Sean.

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

By the way, Ha regions imaged in RGB or OSC can be considerably enhanced in Photoshop by going to Image, Adjustments, Selective Colour and lowering the cyans in red. Sometimes the effect is nothing short of spectacular. I don't know Affinity Photo but it might have an equivalent.

Olly

Thanks Olly, I've definitely come across Selective Colour in Affinity Photo (and I'm sure APP has a similar function).  I'll pull out the old stacked data and try this out ... and also keep it for future sessions too.

13 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Nice looking images. It's good to see someone imaging clusters. They do get overlooked despite being interesting (to me anyway).

I really enjoy imaging clusters.  Coming from the observation side, it's fascinating seeing the deep, rich star field view of imaging.

Edited by geeklee
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2019 at 22:02, geeklee said:

Thanks Olly, I've definitely come across Selective Colour in Affinity Photo (and I'm sure APP has a similar function).  I'll pull out the old stacked data and try this out ... and also keep it for future sessions too.

Great tip @ollypenrice Thank you.  Here is a quick (little OTT) low res comparison.  While the main area is obviously richer, it was nice seeing more of the surrounding Ha.  Thanks again.

IC410-SelectiveC-Example.jpg.974d2bd6602a22efeedcde3397f1aac8.jpg

On 01/01/2020 at 16:57, Andy274 said:

Hi Lee, 

How did you set the gain in APT? Are you using the ASCOM driver or native ZWO one? If it's the ZWO - where did you set the gain? 

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy - I've primarily been using the ASCOM driver in Apt at the moment (a hangover from having initial issues with the native driver). 

If you use the native driver, I think you just set the Gain in Apt in the bottom right (see screenshot below - top box).  Using the ASCOM driver, I click Settings in the bottom right (see screenshot below - bottom box) and I get the ZWO ASCOM dialogue box up which lets you select some presets or manually adjust gain (and offset etc).

Apt1-1.jpg.33d1a65f6b046f6bdc2c74677280a7e2.jpg

Hope this helps.

Edited by geeklee