Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Free Open University Course: In the Night Sky: Orion

The OU is running another of its free short (4 week) courses starting in January.  This one uses the constellation Orion to 'explore the night sky, discover how stars are formed and find out about exoplanets.  From the basics of astronomy to the science behind the birth of a star, this course will change the way you see the night sky.'

While you can access via the Open Learn site and do the course at any time, if you sign up for the January Future Learn course you get the added extra of discussion forums and support from the OU (I'm part of the support team this year 🤗).

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/orion

Helen

• Like 9
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Helen said:

Open to everyone John 😁

Helen

Helen

Thank you for that

With club belong to, go into primary schools and scout groups, and do presentations

One of the things I talk about is Australian Indigenous Astronomy which goes back over 30,000 years

Was taught to me by the elders when first started primary school, who lived on the river back near our farm, rural Victoria

Orion is very prominent with Indigenous Astronomy

In women's business, Orion is chasing Pleiades, seven sisters, to marry one

He can't, as belongs to wrong mob

In men's business Orion is a pack of Dingoes, which is an Australian native wild dog, chasing Pleiades, which is a mob on kangaroo's

The belt of Orion is also know as the canoe

With Indigenous people northern Australia, when Orion first appears eastern horizon, just on sunset, around late October, it marks the onset of the wet season in Northern Australia

Aldebaran also prominent in men's business

Dreamtime  story is a man stole another man's wife, and they hid in a tree to hide from man betrayed

The man betrayed found them, and set fire to the tree

The Rainbow Serpent came down and picked them up forming Aldebaran

Every time an Indigenous man sees Aldebaran, he knows he is not to steal another man's wife

Hope was informative

John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Helen said:

Thanks John :icon_salut:  It is fascinating hearing the different sky stories from across the world!

Helen

Helen

The attached link gives a bit more of an insight into Indigenous Astronomy

The emu in the sky, is associated with Southern Cross, also known as the CRUX, and not seen in the northern hemisphere

They also have stories about the Sun and Moon

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_astronomy

John

• Thanks 1

I've Just taken a look and it seems like a valuable course for people stating out with an interest in Astronomy. You need to upgrade to the £52 course to be able to print a certificate at the end, but that's incredibly cheap for any kind of education!

I'm tempted even though I can remember most of the concepts it covers (maybe not the math for it though lol) One of the bullet points reads "learn about what's special about Earth's position" which is intriguing! Maybe it's just regarding it's habitable (goldie locks) zone? 

Edited by Lockie

1 hour ago, Lockie said:

I've Just taken a look and it seems like a valuable course for people stating out with an interest in Astronomy. You need to upgrade to the £52 course to be able to print a certificate at the end, but that's incredibly cheap for any kind of education!

I'm tempted even though I can remember most of the concepts it covers (maybe not the math for it though lol) One of the bullet points reads "learn about what's special about Earth's position" which is intriguing!

It is an introductory course, so a lot of it will be familiar to seasoned astronomers.  But hopefully some new insights for everyone 😁

This will be my first course being a facilitator (there are 3 of us) - so be gentle with me!  But seriously, I hope to encourage the same helpful, community spirit we have here on SGL.

It will be fun I"m sure 😎

Helen

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Helen said:

It is an introductory course, so a lot of it will be familiar to seasoned astronomers.  But hopefully some new insights for everyone 😁

This will be my first course being a facilitator (there are 3 of us) - so be gentle with me!  But seriously, I hope to encourage the same helpful, community spirit we have here on SGL.

It will be fun I"m sure 😎

Helen

I'm sure you'll be great Helen :) I've got a lot on with work, kids, and you tube channels, but it's only roughly 3 hours a week so I may well join in. It does indeed look fun :) 

• Thanks 1