SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is the RASA right for me?

So I am expecting Santa Claus to possibly bring me Universal/FLO vouchers which I will of course be spending on improving my DSO imaging kit.  As you would expect, I have an FLO wish list ready to be bought, but I do like to plan ahead so I don't waste money.  The next logical purchase is a mono camera and filters... however I want to make sure that my purchase is compatible with my future desired imaging telescope.  Up until recently, I was 90% sure this would be an Esprit 100 Refractor, however my head has been turned by the Celestron RASA 8.  I do have a small reservation which I'm hoping people with experience of this scope can alleviate or confirm...

- Collimation.  From what I've read (albiet not much info out there), it holds collimation well (even from the factory), is this true?  I have never owned a scope that has needed collimation (only owned ed80 and skymax 180), it's not a task that should overwealm a noobie if it does need doing?

Basically, would I be biting off more than I can chew?  If not, This means I will go with an appropriate mono cam, faster filters that will suit the RASA, skip buying a autofocusser for the ed80, and get a filter slider instead of a wheel.

11 minutes ago, scitmon said:

I think I'm sufficiently put off the RASA now... also reading issues with sensitivity to tilt.  I think I'll go back to my Esprit 100 plan.  Thanks for the inputs!

Certainly be an easier, works straight out of the box solution :thumbsup:

Dave

25 minutes ago, scitmon said:

I think I'm sufficiently put off the RASA now... also reading issues with sensitivity to tilt.  I think I'll go back to my Esprit 100 plan.  Thanks for the inputs!

A sound decision, in my view. A very fast scope which is being tuned on clear nights is not a very fast scope...   AP is hard enough without adding the risk of further complication.

Olly

2 hours ago, scitmon said:

I think this is a very wise decision and it will result in some great images with the minimum of hassle. Be sure to purchase the matching field flattener as well.