SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What did i see?

Kronos831

Back in the beginning of August, I went to a Bortle 2sky in Symi, Greece with my dad, I remember catching something in my peripheral vision as I was talking to my him. After  that, I turned to see what it was. It was an incredibly bright(around -3 mag) meteorcrossing the sky. After about a second  it disappeared right after blinking so brightly, that even my dad who was facing the opposite direction got scared and asked me, “what the heck was that?” can anybody describe what I saw? 

Could have been an Iridium flare, but not sure how many are still up there. They were communicate satellites that used to flash very brightly as their solar panels faced the sun.

They were a spectacular sight if you caught a glimpse of one, just as you described, but they've been decommissioned now and started to be deorbited

(Edit) Just checked, the iridium satellites are still I'm service,  but the new ones no longer flare. Don't know if any of the old ones are still.om orbit.

Edited by rockystar
Update
  • Like 1

I have seen a number of very bright flashes from these type of satellites mostly low down towards the south/ south east over the years. I use to see them more than of late but I did see one a few weeks ago. You dont see anything before or after in way of a reflected light just the flash, they seem to travel mainly south to north.

Alan

Also, when I say it blinked , I mean this:It was already bright, but just before it disappeared it became extra bright and sended “a shockwave of light throughout the sky” if that makes sense? Appeared near the Sagittarius patch of the sky.

You've already answered your own question. It sounds very much like a meteor. Some can get very bright, I saw a -6 a few months ago. The bright flash at the end is the meteor breaking up and vaporising. Even a meteor that reached -3 is probably still very small, maybe grape-sized or a little larger.

You were lucky to see one that bright. I've seen maybe a dozen that bright over more than 40 years of sky-watching.

• Thanks 1