Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M16

Rodd

The pillars of creation....one of Hubble's most iconic image.  I couldn't help but see how close I could come with a 5" scope.  If the nebula was in a better location, I would probably switch to the C11Edge.  But even when the night is clear--the southern horizon is awash with light and is often more cloudy than teh rest of my sky.  I was lucky to get this much data--about 8 hours worth.

M16.thumb.jpg.6f1c55bec4aa096d659c1a58816c1e7f.jpg

• Like 10

17 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Nice catch, Rodd. Is this cropped? 

Thanks Wim...with a 5" scope, I hope so.  Here is the full image--I tweaked the crop a bit after I cropped it

M16full.thumb.jpg.9f8e6893900ab06ad81ed86c33b345c3.jpg

Edited by Rodd
  • Like 8

40 minutes ago, domstar said:

Beautiful image. That really is a man's face with a moustache in the larger image just above the blue. 

Thanks Domstar--These kind of images are almost like living sculptures that you can form with your mind--I see different things every time I look at them. 

Rodd

43 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

I love that uncropped version, the brown nebulosity really draws the eye into the centre 

Thanks Doc--I like the full one as well, though I like the comparison to Hubble.  Its kind of a bi-polar thing.  On the one hand you can look at it as wow--amazingly close considering the difference in gear and location.  On the other hand you can say...hah not even close!

Rodd

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Thanks Doc--I like the full one as well, though I like the comparison to Hubble.  Its kind of a bi-polar thing.  On the one hand you can look at it as wow--amazingly close considering the difference in gear and location.  On the other hand you can say...hah not even close!

Rodd

Amazing what can be achieved. You do a great job with your kit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

Amazing what can be achieved. You do a great job with your kit. 

Thanks Doc--I am starting to get a handle on things I think.  I just wish clear sky wasn't so murcurial

Rodd

1 minute ago, geeklee said:

The cropped version is great, but when you scroll down to the full version it has so much more impact (for me).  The colour differences, the layers of structure, the contrast... 👍

Thanks Geeklee.  The crop was just meant as a comparison really.  For the most part, I think native resolutions are always best.  Well, some cropping works out OK--like when you want to crop a bit so the galaxy is a bit closer.  that's fine...but the crop above is anaggressive crop.  I am looking forward to shooting this target at about twice the focal length so the close in wont be a crop.  then we'll have something I think (I know, the grass is always greener....)

Rodd

5 minutes ago, Rodd said:

I am looking forward to shooting this target at about twice the focal length so the close in wont be a crop.  then we'll have something I think (I know, the grass is always greener....)

That'll be quite something - good luck!

Lee

Edited by geeklee

Just now, geeklee said:

That'll be quite something - good luck!

Lee

Thanks--probably won't happen anytime soon.  I change scopes very infrequently due to having such limited clear sky time.  My next change is to put the FSQ 106 back on to see if the re-collimation helped.

Rodd

• Like 1

Really, really nice Rodd. The crop holds up amazingly well. In fact, i would have guessed it came from a larger aperture scope if i didn't already know. 

The widefield is still my fav though, for the same reason Adam mentioned above. 

28 minutes ago, Xiga said:

Really, really nice Rodd. The crop holds up amazingly well. In fact, i would have guessed it came from a larger aperture scope if i didn't already know. 

The widefield is still my fav though, for the same reason Adam mentioned above. 

Thanks!   Yeah I like the wide field better too.

The wide-field is the best image, in fact it is a great image Rodd, but as you say your crop shows remarkable detail for being a 5" scope. You may be quite a bit from the resolution of the Hubble but it is more fair to compare it to big earth-bound scopes. You are not far away from the Liverpool Telescope version of it, and that is a 79" scope, see:

https://www.astrobin.com/286659

Edited by gorann

1 hour ago, gorann said:

The wide-field is the best image, in fact it is a great image Rodd, but as you say your crop shows remarkable detail for being a 5" scope. You may be quite a bit from the resolution of the Hubble but it is more fair to compare it to big earth-bound scopes. You are not far away from the Liverpool Telescope version of it, and that is a 79" scope, see:

Thanks Goran.  I suppose that is a more reasonable comparison.  Imagine imaging this at a truly dark sky site.

Rodd

2 hours ago, gorann said:

You are not far away from the Liverpool Telescope version of it, and that is a 79" scope, see:

40 minutes ago, Rodd said:

Imagine imaging this at a truly dark sky site.

Rodd

The Liverpool telescope is. And on a high mountain top above the clouds. And with a pixel scale of 0.3"/pixel. So :hello2::hello2::hello2:

Edited by wimvb