SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dobson 10" set.

Maniek

Hello. 

I have Newton 10 " dobson for several months. Most of the observation także me of the Moon although I like DSO. Let's 70% to 30%.

I would like to build a target set of eyepiece. I look at Televue and after Reading hundreds of posts, comparisions and tests I have chosen this set:

Ethos 13

Ethos 8 

Delos 6

Delos 4,5 

I am asking for grades, opinions and corrections. 

Greetings. 

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Superb set but you will need something at the longer end. 21mm Ethos is fabulous but hugely expensive. Think about the APM XWA 20mm 100 degree as a somewhat less expensive but still excellent alternative. The set I use most often for my 12 inch F/5.3 dobsonian is:

Ethos 21, 13, 8 and 6mm and the Pentax XW 5mm so very similar to the route you are going down.

There are lots of other options as you know but after many years of trying eyepieces I have settled happily with the set above. Others have made different choices and are very happy as well of course :icon_biggrin:

• Like 4

Hello again Maniek, best not to go too high on magnification, this is the mistake many make.  Most stargazing is done at low magnifications, esp. DSO's.  An excellent choice of eyepieces, but as John says, there are good cheaper alternatives, including Explore Scientific.

To be honest I would like to stary on TV. I agree that 21 will be needed, but for the sake of finances I will leave at the end. I also thought about 17 instead of 21. I currently have a set Erfle 30 and Plossl 9. I think E13 will come first. 

Hi Maniek, for choice I would choose the 21E over the 17E, the 21E is a good all-rounder, I have the 17 Nagler and to be honest it is not used.  The E13 is a good choice for starters, excellent on the Moon!

Edited by rwilkey
  • Like 1

I chose  Ethos over ES because of the quality and weight. Price, well... 

I am a Man who likes good things and I prefer to buy on excellent eyepiece every three months than a good one every month.

Sorry for my English. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Maniek said:

To be honest I would like to stary on TV. I agree that 21 will be needed, but for the sake of finances I will leave at the end. I also thought about 17 instead of 21. I currently have a set Erfle 30 and Plossl 9. I think E13 will come first. 

Your english is great :thumbright:

I had the 17mm Ethos for a while sometime back and while it is a great eyepiece, most often I found myself going straight from the 21mm to the 13mm so I sold the 17mm Ethos to a new home. I currently have an Explore Scientific 92 degree 17mm in that "gap" so it will be interesting to see how much use that gets.

What is the focal ratio of your 10 inch newtonian ?

If it is F/5 or faster a coma corrector may be a wise investment if you want to get the best out of these hyper wide eyepieces.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, rwilkey said:

Hello again Maniek, best not to go too high on magnification, this is the mistake many make.  Most stargazing is done at low magnifications, esp. DSO's. 

Hello Robin, Maniek has mentioned observing the moon. I don't think he'd have any problems with a 4mm or 5mm and his 'scope, do you? :)

• Like 1

Hello. The eyepieces you mentioned in your original post are all top quality. I have some TV so think your suggestions are fine. An eyepiece around the 20mm range for DSO would be beneficial

Just to put an alternative to you . The Pentax XW range from the 3.5XW up to the 10XW are superb. These are in the TV league in my opinion. Great build quality and superb optical wise. I have these so speak from experience with them.

I think your idea of buying quality is the way to go. As buy once and buy quality is a sensible move. Also the second hand market can be great for picking up quality eyepieces at a saving over new prices

Hope this helps 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not saying dont buy ethos

Where I am a 21 ethos is 1200 before tax so that's like $1400 for one ep.

I norm tell people match your eps to the cost of your scope. 

To me at least I wont spend that kinda money on 1 ep when u can buy a new skywatcher 10 inch dob for like $700.

I also wont get cheap eps for an expensive scope I kinda match them if I can. 

To me if I were gonna spend $5000 on like 4 eps j would first upgrade my scopes but again this is my thoughts  on what I do or reccomend to people. 

But if that's what they really want then that's ok too.

Joejaguar 

• Like 2

I only bought naglars in the last 6 months and radians and TV plossls in the last 2 months.

There are lots great ep that are not soo expensive that can work. 

Before  my TV was using the meade 4000 Japan made uwa and super wide angle which were rated just as good as the naglars so that's what I use and used for many years.

Joejaguar 

1 hour ago, joe aguiar said:

I'm not saying dont buy ethos

Where I am a 21 ethos is 1200 before tax so that's like $1400 for one ep.

I norm tell people match your eps to the cost of your scope. 

To me at least I wont spend that kinda money on 1 ep when u can buy a new skywatcher 10 inch dob for like $700.

I also wont get cheap eps for an expensive scope I kinda match them if I can. 

To me if I were gonna spend $5000 on like 4 eps j would first upgrade my scopes but again this is my thoughts  on what I do or reccomend to people. 

But if that's what they really want then that's ok too.

Joejaguar 

Maybe the poster is planning ahead ?

Scopes tend to come and go but a top quality eyepiece set can serve a lifetime :smiley:

I full agree. 

There are many other, cheaper and not much worse EP that you can also enjoy. However, the quality of Ethos is indisputable. This set I dreamed of is not a whim of a Rich guy. On the contrary. I work hard and if I have a goal I can Save money. 

Let's say you want a New car. You dreamed about a BMW series 3. Every one ssys it's a great car. You Save money. And I say "Hey, Man! Why do you need a BMW? Buy a Fiat. That's what you can drive witch."  But you Just want BMW. 

It all comes down Our choices.

And what Jon said. I will change the telescope in some Time. Maybe 14" or 16" and good EP will remain. 

Because telescope is Just antenna. The screen with your favorite movie is an eyepiece. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Maniek said:

I full agree. 

There are many other, cheaper and not much worse EP that you can also enjoy. However, the quality of Ethos is indisputable. This set I dreamed of is not a whim of a Rich guy. On the contrary. I work hard and if I have a goal I can Save money. 

Let's say you want a New car. You dreamed about a BMW series 3. Every one ssys it's a great car. You Save money. And I say "Hey, Man! Why do you need a BMW? Buy a Fiat. That's what you can drive witch."  But you Just want BMW. 

It all comes down Our choices.

And what Jon said. I will change the telescope in some Time. Maybe 14" or 16" and good EP will remain. 

Because telescope is Just antenna. The screen with your favorite movie is an eyepiece. 

Then you should also consider the 12.5mm Nikon NAV-HW which is generally rated as slightly better than the 13mm Ethos.  That, and it comes with their EiC-10 element to convert it to a just as good 10mm.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Then you should also consider the 12.5mm Nikon NAV-HW which is generally rated as slightly better than the 13mm Ethos.  That, and it comes with their EiC-10 element to convert it to a just as good 10mm.

True. The Docter 12.5mm is, according to some, a touch better than the 13mm Ethos as well.

Slightly better eyepieces are out there, at a price.

• Like 2

My 17mm/14mm Nikon HW is very good, possibly a hair better than my 17E. However the design of the eyepiece- a very long bottom extension- makes focusing a challenge and almost eliminates the use of the excellent Paracorr II in my dobs.

The factory eyecup is a joke as are the caps.

The beauty of Televue eyepieces is their performance in fast newts with the Paracorr. A recent conversation with Mr Al Nagler revealed the goal of the Paracorr II and the TV eyepieces-  diffraction limited( at a minimum) across the field of view with very fast newts. Actually, after this conversation I have a new respect for Televue and Mr Nagler.

@John the Docter is a unique eyepiece and a very good one. Eyeplacement can give some fits but it might work with Paracorr, we'll see. Televue has a whole line up of Ethos, Docter or I guess Noblex now, has all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

@Louis D the Nikon 14mm HW EIC is not as sharp as the Docter 12.5mm UWA as tested in my TSA 120, to my eyes.  It is very hard to "out sharp" the sharp Docter. But as I say this is a one of a kind eyepiece. It also does not have as high a DSO transmission ( galaxies) as the Doc IMHO. The Delos on the other hand does.

Fun stuff trying out eyepieces lol!

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Maniek said:

Hello. 

I have Newton 10 " dobson for several months. Most of the observation także me of the Moon although I like DSO. Let's 70% to 30%.

I would like to build a target set of eyepiece. I look at Televue and after Reading hundreds of posts, comparisions and tests I have chosen this set:

Ethos 13

Ethos 8 

Delos 6

Delos 4,5 

I am asking for grades, opinions and corrections. 

Greetings. 

Should you scratch the 8 Ethos and try an 8 Delos?....

In this range I switch from hyperwides to excellent high transmission widefields, just me.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Maniek said:

You dreamed about a BMW series 3.

I've never dreamed about a car, but then I think I'm a bit odd in that department as I'm just happy with one that just goes from a to b! :D

5 hours ago, Maniek said:

Because telescope is Just antenna. The screen with your favourite movie is an eyepiece. 

Not quite. Nothing wrong with your 'scope, but you wouldn't buy a 55" full HD smart digital TV if your antenna could only pick up the analogue channels! ;)

• Like 1

jaJust reviewed both Nikon and Docter UWA. Gentelmen, it's not BMW, it's AstonMartin😮

I think I will stay with TV. Thank for all the help. I am absolutely sure of my choice. When I turn on the first light I will describe the impressions. 

You have experience gained over the years and measured by hundreds of EPs. Having a telescope for a few moment I base my choice on voices like yours. That's why I think it's a good choice. And whether it is Ethos, Delo, XW or other is probably Just a matter of personal feelings, because in the difference of the image the hair will probably not fit. 

• Like 1

To carry your car analogy even further, would you put high mileage touring tires on your BMW such that you are constantly spinning your wheels and sliding through corners?  No, you'd put high performance tires on it to maximize your enjoyment of it.  Likewise, putting 100 degree eyepieces into an f/4.7 Newt without a coma corrector of some sort won't allow them perform to their full potential.  You'll be wondering why the stars bloat in the outer parts of the field in such a well corrected eyepiece.

If you've got the budget, the TV Paracorr II can't be beat.  If you get lucky, you might be able to find a used Paracorr I with tunable top for much less.  It's not quite as good, but it's way better than nothing.

If your budget is tight after picking up so many expensive eyepieces, I would recommend the Revelation/GSO coma corrector (on sale for a really great price).  It performs about the same as the original Paracorr I without the tunable top.  It flattens the field as well as only magnifying by 10% instead of 15% for the Paracorrs.  It also requires only 12mm of in-focus (backfocus).  If you parfocalize your eyepieces and tune the optical element to eyepiece holder distance with spacer rings, it's a great solution.

• Like 1