Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

IC1396 with Nikon lens

GiorgioF

Cheers.

Here 5 hours of Ha for this nebula.

While quite satisfied by the nebulosity is a pain for me about the stars. The corners are showing all the weak part of the setup.

Looking for advice if someone is using a similar setup.

ASI1600mm, baader Ha 7nm, light of 300" and 600" (different sky conditions in different nights).

Lens Nikon 80-200 f2,8 closed to f5,6.

Process all in Pixinsight.

Thanks for your help

IC1396 -WEB.jpg

• Like 17

Thank you Alan and Brian. To kind words.

I'm always looking for high target and yes, sometimes it deal to be a little hard in judge my works. Maybe also as professional habit ;).

I hope to get some oxigen if the weather will cooperate. The aim was to get a bicolour image.

• Like 1

The 80-200 f2.8 is one of the sharpest zooms ever made. Modern lenses can't come close. However, it wasn't meant for astro and many Nikon lenses suffer from coma - it's not a design priority.

The diffraction spikes are due to the 9 bladed diaphragm. You are better off making a manual stop for the front of the lens so you can use it wide open.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

The 80-200 f2.8 is one of the sharpest zooms ever made. Modern lenses can't come close. However, it wasn't meant for astro and many Nikon lenses suffer from coma - it's not a design priority.

The diffraction spikes are due to the 9 bladed diaphragm. You are better off making a manual stop for the front of the lens so you can use it wide open.

Uhm.....the manual iris sounds quite nice.

But should say the spikes are not a disturbing factor than the elongated stars.

Will work about....

Ps.yes, it's really one of the sharpest lens.

I use vintage film SLR camera lenses - Asahi Optical - Takumar, Super Takumar and SMC Takumar as were used on Pentax cameras.  These can be bought cheaply second hand and are excellent quality.  I use them at full aperture and hence avoid spikes caused by the aperture iris blades.

5 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Ah yes, OK. Nice little explanation here as to why an odd number of blades produces twice as many spikes as blades. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diffraction_spike#Diffraction_spikes_due_to_non-circular_aperture