Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

AdeKing

COMPLETED - COMPLETE - Free To A Good Home - 12" f/6 DarkStar Dobsonian - Needs Work

With a heavy heart, and I will probably regret this but I’m offering up my 12” f/6 DarkStar Dobsonian Telescope for free. 

However, as with everything there are a couple of catches, firstly it needs some TLC and secondly it needs to be collected from Poole in Dorset due to me no longer having a vehicle large enough to transport it in.

I am offering it up as my very tolerant wife has finally lost patience with this sitting unused and largely untouched in our garage since 2017, I can’t argue with that.

The scope was gifted to my local Astro Society, but due to them already having a 14” DarkStar and due to this one needing some TLC and somewhere to store it they offered it up for free and that is how it came to me.

I took it on with the intention of restoring it or converting it to a more portable truss tube design, but in the last 2.5 years I have made virtually no progress due to a severe lack of free time.

Some more information can be found in these two threads.

I can’t tell you anything about the specification of the primary except that it is a 12” f/6 of 1980's/1990's vintage.  From the information I have gathered here on SGL I don’t think it is a David Hinds primary as it lacks the “A” or “B” that I understand that David Hinds engraved along with the serial number.

The primary needs re-coating and has some crescent shaped marks where it was struck by the original secondary at some point in its life.  The original secondary, which was damaged and can be seen in the above threads has been disposed of but @andrew s kindly donated me a replacement of the same dimensions as the original which is included.

I have all the parts, except one nut, from the original spider, but one of the spot welds failed and I'm no welder.  I did obtain an old Orion Optics two vane spider from @Moonshane which I intended to bodge to fit the oversize tube with some threaded rod but never got around to it.

The scope would benefit greatly from a modern focuser.  I think I have a rather tatty Skywatcher Crayford that I will throw in if I haven't cannibalised it for parts.

Have a look at the photos and if you are interested then send me a PM.

If nobody shows any interest then I will remove and box up the mirrors and keep them for a project many years in the future then the rest will unfortunately go to the local tip.

I'm afraid that I'm not interested in splitting this down, if you are interested in the mirrors then I'm afraid that it goes as a complete assembly or not at all.  I really don't want to scrap this as the whole assembly will make a functional telescope for someone with the time to fix it up but I've been told that one way or another it MUST go.

20170506_121843.thumb.jpg.989ab6591c48376adf769c228568d3ca.jpg20170506_123316.thumb.jpg.b3c4c9dd6662ff36c9ca15459dc4a00a.jpg20170506_121843.thumb.jpg.9d0408ba7d64eacaab526a8daba7a9ee.jpg20170506_121946.thumb.jpg.e4c4c173191376c12e1bf2f15b0d8398.jpg593fa6f3e20fc_12inchmirrordamage(clearer).thumb.jpg.d5882f8f76d1cb1771f64a363138aeb2.jpg

IMG_20191211_205011.jpg

IMG_20191211_205114.jpg

Edited by AdeKing
Marked as complete
  • Like 6

Hi

Where do you live I could be interested if are not to far away from me only after the mirrors, mirror cell, and spider. I'm looking at building a dob next year. 

Regards Solarboy 

Edited by solarboy
  • Like 3

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 23:21, AdeKing said:

I'm afraid that I'm not interested in splitting this down, if you are interested in the mirrors then I'm afraid that it goes as a complete assembly or not at all.  I really don't want to scrap this as the whole I'm afraid that I'm not interested in splitting this down, if you are interested in the mirrors then I'm afraid that it goes as a complete assembly or not at all.  I really don't want to scrap this as the whole assembly will make a functional telescope for someone with the time to fix it up but I've been told that one way or another it MUST go.assembly will make a functional telescope for someone with the time to fix it up but I've been told that one way or another it MUST go.

1 hour ago, solarboy said:

Hi

Where do you live I could be interested if are not to far away from me only after the mirrors, mirror cell, and spider. I'm looking at building a dob next year. 

Regards Solarboy 

Solarboy the seller has stated below  and by his avatar you know where he is.

I'm afraid that I'm not interested in splitting this down, if you are interested in the mirrors then I'm afraid that it goes as a complete assembly or not at all.  I really don't want to scrap this as the whole assembly will make a functional telescope for someone with the time to fix it up but I've been told that one way or another it MUST go.

• Like 1

i'd be in my car straight away but the ferry charges outway the cost's and fuel

I'm tempted to mount a rescue mission.  But I'd be happy to see if anyone else wants it first.

James

Go for it James, that's a lot of aperture for free. And a lot of manageable aperture, too, still at the 'grab and go' stage...  :) The generosity of folk on this forum astounds me.

18 hours ago, fozzybear said:

i'd be in my car straight away but the ferry charges outway the cost's and fuel

I agree @fozzybear, looking at your location, you couldn't say I was local ;)

46 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Hope someone rescues this 🙂

Me too, I don't want to have to scrap it.

I just want to see it go to someone that will give it a bit of TLC, fix it up and use it.  To be honest, if I'd have realised how BIG it was, I probably wouldn't have taken it on.  The OTA alone is almost 6 feet long, I'm 5'11" and can only just reach the eyepiece on tiptoe when its pointing at the zenith.  The tube is 16" diameter I think with a 12" mirror inside, so it is a chunky so and so.

21 minutes ago, JamesF said:

I'm tempted to mount a rescue mission.  But I'd be happy to see if anyone else wants it first.

James

I wish I could help by transporting it somewhere but try as I might I can't quite squeeze it into our little Suzuki Splash :)

I have a terrible habit of taking things on as projects then not getting any further than making the initial acquisition, this one is just a bit big to hide and my wife has quite rightly taken me to task over it.

20 minutes ago, Beulah said:

Go for it James, that's a lot of aperture for free. And a lot of manageable aperture, too, still at the 'grab and go' stage...  :) The generosity of folk on this forum astounds me.

The scope came to me for free and @andrew s kindly supplied me with a suitable secondary (also for free), so I don't feel that it is right to try to profit from it, its not usable as it is cost me nothing so it can go for nothing as well if it helps someone.  

• Like 3

How about we give it until, say, the end of Boxing Day, Ade?  I'd honestly be happy if someone nearer or more lustful for lots of aperture wanted to take this on and it only seems fair to give them time to see the offer, but if no-one fancies it given a couple of weeks then I'm sure I have enough spares etc. to give it a new lease of life and I'd be pleased to do so.

On the other hand, if you're absolutely desperate to have it gone, I'll try to sort some time out to get down to Poole before then.

James

7 hours ago, JamesF said:

How about we give it until, say, the end of Boxing Day, Ade?  I'd honestly be happy if someone nearer or more lustful for lots of aperture wanted to take this on and it only seems fair to give them time to see the offer, but if no-one fancies it given a couple of weeks then I'm sure I have enough spares etc. to give it a new lease of life and I'd be pleased to do so.

On the other hand, if you're absolutely desperate to have it gone, I'll try to sort some time out to get down to Poole before then.

James

That sounds good to me James, another couple of weeks won't hurt. 

Lets leave it at that and see what happens then.

Ade

It will be doing soon :)

James

• Like 1

Oops, thanks for prompting me.

This is now COMPLETE, thanks @JamesF.

• Like 2

Delighted it found a new home. Not that I want to see FLO put out of business.

Regards Andrew 

16 hours ago, JamesF said:

It will be doing soon :)

James

All the best astronomers have a Dark Star 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stub Mandrel said:

All the best astronomers have a Dark Star 🙂

And me as well, soon :)

James

• Thanks 1