Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

Vdb24 is a blue reflection nebula in the Perseus constellation which is embedded within the larger dark (reddish/brown) nebula LDN1442.  It seems quite a rarely imaged object, I found only two examples on Astrobin and zero on SGL.  It's quite an interesting image to process since the dark (brown/reddish) nebula tends to distort the star colours, particular the blue stars, pushing them towards the red end of the spectrum.  It also has quite a few very bright blue stars, including one that acts to illuminate the reflection nebula itself. 

Anyway, here's my effort which represents just over 14 hours of integration time.  The image is an LRGB and was taken with my Esprit 150.

Alan

1616807650_19_crop.thumb.jpg.beaeae8967b461950f885feb0740ecd7.jpg

LIGHTS: L: 30, R:13, G:21, B:21 x 600s, DARKS:30, BIAS:100, FLATS:40 - all at -20C. 

• Like 17

3 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Bravo! Something new and more than a little interesting.

Olly

Wot Olly said.  Lovely.

How did the integration time split down by filter?   Whoops I see this at the bottom of the image - apols.

Edited by x6gas

21 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Bravo! Something new and more than a little interesting.

Olly

Thanks Olly. It will be interesting to see if this post encourages some more attempt at this object.    :hello:

17 hours ago, don4l said:

That's lovely!

Thanks, much appreciated !

Alan

17 hours ago, x6gas said:

Wot Olly said.  Lovely.

How did the integration time split down by filter?   Whoops I see this at the bottom of the image - apols.

Many thanks for the comment. :smile:

Alan

Love the detail in the clouds around that central star.

James

14 hours ago, JamesF said:

Love the detail in the clouds around that central star.

James

Thanks. Yes, I think its my favorite part of the image, although that central star is bright !

Alan