Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

It's been a while

johnfosteruk

Although I've had a few quick observing sessions this year, my last proper session when it wasn't full moon was 7 months ago and I've been missing it, a lot. 

Last night when I left the office the skies were clear, the moon looked spectacular and the forecast was clear for the whole evening, as was my diary. So I put the little Skymax 102 out to cool and after dinner I had a cracking session.  Seeing was a reasonable 8/10, the Moon was at a respectable altitude, and after spending 30 minutes doing maintenance I got stuck straight in with the 13mm Hyperion, the whole disk filling the field at 100x. Aristarchus shining like a jewel, Schroter's valley clearly visible at this magnification, familiar friends along the southern terminator inviting me to look closer, I quickly switched to the 10mm giving 130x and browsed over the southern terminator. Lots of browsing around, reacquainting myself with the Lunar tourist spots followed :)

45 minutes was consumed with Schickard and the surrounding area. The shared northern walls of Phocylides and Nasymith form a summit of sorts and cast an impressive shadow, I spent 20 minutes just making sense of that!

On to Reiner Gamma, the peculiar swirls seeming oddly out of place then a switch to the 8mm for a closer look at Aristarchus at 162.5x (which def gave some benefit over the 10mm). On to  Schroter's valley and the Cobra's head.

Finally, I meandered up towards the North Pole for a look around Pythagoras, Babbage, Markov. Pythagoras' central peak was poking it's head out of the blackness below and Babbage A&C added some interest to their otherwise plain looking parent crater.

Then I switched to the Nikon and grabbed some images to finish of a very nice couple of hours.

1322703352_MonoMoon09-12-19.thumb.jpg.41846a99f1db18fafbd6a1fea55e9f49.jpg

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 5

47 minutes ago, dannybgoode said:

Nice report. I had a similar session last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. I can see this lunar observing becoming a bit of an obsession 

By the look of your report, I think it already has! 👍

Edited by johnfosteruk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, steppenwolf said:

Great report and a lovely image that proves that there is still plenty of detail to be captured even when the Moon is nearly full

Thanks Steve, there's so much detail. I studied so much more than my meagre notes attest, but I've always struggled to tear my eye away from the eyepiece long enough to take notes!

• Like 2