Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

KevS

Show us your telescope "spaghetti"

Telescope spaghetti, a dark art that needs to be revealed. Good or bad, neat or appalling (like mine) lets have a look. How neat are your cable clips, or do you let it all hang out?ūüôĄ.

plumbing.thumb.jpg.fc99853124a71b6797cd09f704c85fdb.jpg

• Like 5

It's chucking down ATM but when we get a dry spell I'll get a couple of photos. Fortunately most of my wiring runs through the mount axles.

3 minutes ago, DaveS said:

Fortunately most of my wiring runs through the mount axles.

Posh or whatūü§£

• Haha 4

With my style of observing, there is none. :smile:

I only have tracking, with two scopes requiring just a single power cord.

I let it all hang out, enlarge for full effect - lol

N.B. dual rig so both (covered) laptops being used. 

Carole 

Cables crop.jpg

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

Carole,I like the especially engineered¬† "Tupperware" cable management system. Nice touchūü§£.

K

Here is mine. There isn't any :smiley:

dob122019.JPG.c59261b0b799c2d59f7f725b6c285060.JPG

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

,I like the especially engineered  "Tupperware" cable management system

Tupperware?

Do you mean my plastic box under the Mount.  I always have that underneath to keep the electrics off the damp ground and keep as much dew off as possible.   This is at kelling Heath and at the end of a the night;s imaging I lift all the cables up and put a cover over the rig.   Close the electrics plastic box with the lid (having cut out a small slot under the lid to pass through a few cables, and then lift the hook up which is in a waterproof bag and put it on top to stop the wind blowing the lid off.  This has survived multiple camps over 9 years even when it has rained. 

I also normally keep my laptop in a plastic box with closeable flap to keep the damp off  the laptop.  The one on the left of the picture was a make shift box as I had lent my 2nd box to a friend who hadn't thought about laptop protection.

Carole

Edited by carastro

I've installed an RPI3B+ at the mount plus a power distribution box with 12v powered USB hub.

I only have the power cord dangling from the mount... that is until I get my hands on a radioisotope thermoelectric generator that I can attach to the mount. It is a work in progress :) 

Here is a picture with my old HEQ5 mount with the box installed on the side of the OTA.

IMG_1694_cr.thumb.jpg.d62cb03a3e29bd10a57967a37dd4f436.jpg

Edited by Vox45
  • Like 3

I like your laptop box, where did you find that?

I have recently made some waterproof bags out of supermarket stiff carrier bags that will flatten to transport, and when I have left the laptop chugging away will velcro together (with the laptop lid closed).  I have yet to try them out but the idea is to replace the large plastic boxes I currently use which are rather cumbersome and take up a lot of space and can get blown off the table.

Carole 

In the background, the only one missing is the Cat5e cable that goes from the hub on the tripod spreader to my laptop in the house

20191124_124652.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, DaveS said:

It's chucking down ATM but when we get a dry spell I'll get a couple of photos. Fortunately most of my wiring runs through the mount axles.

As promised

20191211_125320.thumb.jpg.a5571b3b3ba845cec12eb8da56f02dd1.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, carastro said:

I like your laptop box, where did you find that?

I have recently made some waterproof bags out of supermarket stiff carrier bags that will flatten to transport, and when I have left the laptop chugging away will velcro together (with the laptop lid closed).  I have yet to try them out but the idea is to replace the large plastic boxes I currently use which are rather cumbersome and take up a lot of space and can get blown off the table.

Carole 

Bought it from iCap Pro

http://www.e.icap-shop.com/icap-pro-cover/icap-mid-pro.html

It is expensive but is a nice features ! It is foldable (pop up tent like) and does not leak light so I can have my laptop at full brightless without bothering people around me. I like it lot :) 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, carastro said:

Thanks, does it easily fold up? 

These days I just fold it so it is flat and I do not bother to fold it to its pocket size form :)

Let's just say that the folding part is kind of like folding a map, you can get it right once in a while but most of the time it just ends in a very frustrating experience...

But apart from that, it is a very good product.

Edited by Vox45
  • Like 1

Thanks Vox, it's good to know as a back up if my Supermarket bag conversion doesn't work.

Carole 

• Like 1

Unfortunately this was a little untidy the other night, cold as wellūüėŹ

Carole, I bought one of those i-caps for when I travel, not used it yet but they look very good.

D63D4BFC-D8AC-4697-AE4B-1943E7D6913B.jpeg

Edited by Jkulin
  • Like 3

The EQ8 isn't the easiest to route cabling around but this works and is tidy enough.  =]

20190720_153627.thumb.jpg.8210939e3e48c281422078ccedb63f65.jpg

• Like 4

only 3 cables going down, 2 power and 1 USB.

All other cables ar the shortest possible (usb and power) others (dew straps) ar rolled up.

A shorter eqdir cable would be handy.

F1B86C2F-5489-4696-8CB4-54CD3DC16752.thumb.jpeg.e427e8dc7b2addc4a4f11d149622276f.jpeg 

• Like 2

On 13/12/2019 at 02:14, Jkulin said:

Unfortunately this was a little untidy the other night, cold as wellūüėŹ

Carole, I bought one of those i-caps for when I travel, not used it yet but they look very good.

D63D4BFC-D8AC-4697-AE4B-1943E7D6913B.jpeg

BBRRRRRRRR.ūüźß