Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

WO ZS73II telesccope?

Hello Guys

I am thinking of buying a WO ZS73 telescope for both astro-photography and viewing  and was wondering does anyone use it for astro-photography with a DSLR camera ?  I have been looking for some specs on the length of the draw tube and cannot find any pictures or details on it.  I also intend to buy the the Flat 73A adjustable  flatterner, Or  the Flat 6A III 0.8x  reducer with it too, but not too sure will the Flat 6A work with the scope??  If you have any pictures of the fully extended draw tube I would be very grateful please, or if anyone has some answers to my questions please?

Kind regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Ive got one, having a wee issue with it at the moment which might well be down to low temperature and WO have asked me to run a dew band round the cell.  Other than that, I really like it, I have the dedicated flattener which works well, and is adjustable - I have to move it about 1mm further out that recommended due to me using a mono camera and filters.  Anyway, cracking scope, well made (assuming the dodgy stars go with a little heat) and looks lovely!

Helllo Greealilee

Thank you very much indeed for your pictures and info regarding the dovetail bar and the extra weight.

These are the pictures of the scope that I have been looking for and whats more you have got the ZWO focuser too, which I bought about a month ago and not used it as yet on my ED80.

Thanks again.

Best wishes for Christmas and a Happy New Year to you.

Kind regards,

Hadyn - IOM

15 minutes ago, blinky said:

Ive got one, having a wee issue with it at the moment which might well be down to low temperature and WO have asked me to run a dew band round the cell.  Other than that, I really like it, I have the dedicated flattener which works well, and is adjustable - I have to move it about 1mm further out that recommended due to me using a mono camera and filters.  Anyway, cracking scope, well made (assuming the dodgy stars go with a little heat) and looks lovely!

Hello Blinky

Thank you your reply. I really hope that you find the cure for your problem, I take it you have only just bought the scope too?

Could you please let me know how you get on with the problem that you are having with it, as of yet I haven't hit the buy button?

Also are you using the WO guide scope? Link: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-50mm-slide-base-uniguide-scope-with-125-rotolock.html

Just wanting know how the guide scope  can be be adjusted for windage and elevation please?

Kind regards,

Hadyn - IOM

59 minutes ago, greealilee said:

Hayden,

If there is anything I can help you with please let know.

Lee

Hello Lee

Thank you for your comment regarding help, it will be very much appreciated Lee,  as I do know its going to be a bit of a steep leaning curve for a 68 year old, ha, ha.

I have not purchased the gear as yet,  just testing the water. and will probably wait now till after the festive fun is over and postal services are back to normal. I do have an old ED80 refractor, but I really do like the size of the WO73 as I do a fare bit of astronomy outreach events over here on the island and just use it with my Skytee mount and ED80, but I would like to use the WO to hook up my Canon 600d or my Samsung modded cctv camera hooked up to a 10" monitor to show the Moon etc to folk.

Kindest regards

Hadyn - IOM

1 hour ago, hadyn42 said:

Hello Blinky

Thank you your reply. I really hope that you find the cure for your problem, I take it you have only just bought the scope too?

Could you please let me know how you get on with the problem that you are having with it, as of yet I haven't hit the buy button?

Also are you using the WO guide scope? Link: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/william-optics/william-optics-50mm-slide-base-uniguide-scope-with-125-rotolock.html

Just wanting know how the guide scope  can be be adjusted for windage and elevation please?

Kind regards,

Hadyn - IOM

I use an off axis guider on mine,keeps it all nice and neat

6 minutes ago, blinky said:

I use an off axis guider on mine,keeps it all nice and neat

Hi again Blinky.

That sounds a good idea, if you have some info on the Off Axis guider and what other bits are needed etc please could you let me know with some links / pictures etc?

Kindest regards,

Hadyn - IOM

Hayden,

When ever needed please give me shout, one of the reasons I went for this scope was size after working with my C8 but also the wide field of view. You go on about the learning curve, trust me it never ends but in a good way that is. Look at these 2 images of M31 the first was taken a year ago and at the time I was happy, the second one was taken 3 weeks ago and is still work in progress. Yes the curve goes on!

best so far take 2.png

M31.jpg

58 minutes ago, greealilee said:

Hayden,

When ever needed please give me shout, one of the reasons I went for this scope was size after working with my C8 but also the wide field of view. You go on about the learning curve, trust me it never ends but in a good way that is. Look at these 2 images of M31 the first was taken a year ago and at the time I was happy, the second one was taken 3 weeks ago and is still work in progress. Yes the curve goes on!

best so far take 2.png

M31.jpg

Hello Lee. 

Well what can I say, only to say that you have come on leaps and bounds! Never ever will I be able to take a picture like that, but I don't give up easy. Did you use a field flattener from the WO range Lee?

Can I ask did you use your Lodestar or the purple camera plugged in for the guiding?  I wasn't going to mention the "guiding word" as I know that's another steep learning curve. Also were you using PHD2, you see I do know some of the terms used in astrophotography but not too many clues on how to spell them or use them, lol.

Got to go out to do a job now, so there should be no more questions from me for awhile!

Kind regards,

Hadyn

Hayden,

To tell you the truth the last image was taken un guided as I couldn't get PHD2 working at the time, I am for from an expert with this stuff. I sold the lodestar some time ago to pay for PI ( pixinsight) and use the altair guide cam when I can get guiding to work. Also I use the dedicated field flattner for the scope. Never say never just keep going at it and you might find that one night everything just falls into place.

Lee

Hi Hadyn,

I've just taken delivery of a 2019 ZS73, matching uniguider and 73A adjustable flattener.  I've not really had a chance to try in anger yet due to this week's horrific weather. During a brief break in the clouds I did manage as far as taking a photo of the moon through an old Skywatcher eyepiece using a Samsung Galaxy S8. Visually it is lovely and sharp the Moon terminator standing out nicely. Build wise this a quality bit of kit, everything feels well made, the focuser feels silky smooth with no backlash.

There's little in the way of manuals or decent descriptions on WO website but I think I've figured out the adjustable field flattener should be set and locked to 11.4mm then space from the flattener M48 thread to sensor should be 66.2mm. I have a Hypercam 183C Pro Tec and had to order an extension piece to achieve the correct spacing. It's a never ending drain on the wallet.

Roy

20191208_233256-01.jpeg