Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

'The Repair Shop' restoring an old scope!

Gasman

Searched out the episode today. Fabulous!

A proper feat of amateur astronomical engineering. The mount was a thing of beauty and a telescope tube that looked like a park bench that had been rolled up by The Incredible Hulk. Proper brass eyepiece and draw tubes as well.

Chapeau Grandpa Ted.

I,ve watched all of the shows and love it. This is why I like restoring vintage and antique technology, its very satisfying and that comes through in the show. I love giving back someones past or memories.

Also I have picked up a few tips from them along the way. Ive also spotted a couple of gaffs, or shoukd I say "I wouldnt do it like that" . My fave resto that I have done was a 1914 Royal Typewriter, fantastic object and the design/craftsmanship in these machines is impressive.

Telescopes, Ive restored a few, so that episode plus the one with the nautical refractor interested me more than most.

• Like 2

reminds me that one day I must dig out the old german cuckoo clock from my childhood and overhaul it... been in a box for years now but got diverted with other stuff, lately bino's and scopes and now it seems 2 failed Seagate HDD's  in the fileservers :( 

1 hour ago, DaveL59 said:

reminds me that one day I must dig out the old german cuckoo clock from my childhood and overhaul it... been in a box for years now but got diverted with other stuff, lately bino's and scopes and now it seems 2 failed Seagate HDD's  in the fileservers :( 

Got one of those in the loft in a box, got people that run around and a guy sawing a log in time with the pendulum, bought new bellows but never got around to fitting them.

Dave

• Like 1