SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

'The Repair Shop' restoring an old scope!

Gasman

Hi folks

Just watched an interesting episode on BBC1 where a chap and his son brought an old homemade reflector made by his late father to see if the guys could repair it and make it workable again. Amazing build from old parts found around Portsmouth area, mirror fomerly a porthole various other bits and bob's to make an equatorial mount. They got the mirror recoated and made a great job of the restoration. Took me back a few years having made my own reflector and mirror 😁. Should be on catchup!

Steve

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gasman said:

Hi folks

Just watched an interesting episode on BBC1 where a chap and his son brought an old homemade reflector made by his late father to see if the guys could repair it and make it workable again. Amazing build from old parts found around Portsmouth area, mirror fomerly a porthole various other bits and bob's to make an equatorial mount. They got the mirror recoated and made a great job of the restoration. Took me back a few years having made my own reflector and mirror 😁. Should be on catchup!

Steve

Its on BBC iPlayer...

Alan

• Like 1

Sooo about half an hour ago I thought I'd watch this episode but after a recent Virgin box update, at their insistence, what was previously a simple job of pushing the red button for the iPlayer has become a maze of authorization codes and needing to use the laptop to log onto BBC site, find my BBC password that I haven't needed for yonks at the end of lot's of screen clicking they ask if I have a TV licence so what was the point of it all.

Having eventually muddled my way to iPlayer, that now takes ten times as long as previously to come to life, I'm presented with a list of episodes with intro's on some that don't actually get to mention the program content before tailing off so have to scroll around hoping to stumble upon it, if this is progress they can stuff it :cussing:

Just hope it's all been worth it 😂

Dave

• Sad 1

Yes, iPlayer seems to have got more officious and slower in equal measure in recent years, oddly it always seems to run quicker and more reliably on hand held devices rather than the telly, maybe I need a new ‘smart” TV?

16 minutes ago, tomato said:

Yes, iPlayer seems to have got more officious and slower in equal measure in recent years, oddly it always seems to run quicker and more reliably on hand held devices rather than the telly, maybe I need a new ‘smart” TV?

Just buy a dongle, problem solved.

Alan

That was a lovely telescope. It was the kind that I imagined Ogilvy the astronomer in HG Wells' War of The World would have used to observe the green flares from Mars :) 

Jim 

Edited by saac

I always enjoy the repair shop.  Just a pleasure to see such skills deployed by such delightful craftsmen and women. 

The redcoat of the mirror was by Orion Optics. Pity it got dusty but a hazard of a shared workspace. 

Regards Andrew 

I've applied to go on it to repair my 66 year old Teddy, voice box stopped working and paws are a little tatty and ears tatty and floppy, eye's don't match cus both we're lost but replaced with plastic one's. He deserves some tlc at 66. Only had a generic email back saying there's lots of applications. 

IMG_20191202_174143.jpg