Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Marius Hills - loads of volcanic domes

Mike JW

Hi All,

Last night the crater Marius and the nearby volcanic domes was lit perfectly as were the associated wrinkle ridges. There are at least a dozen domes that I counted and satellite images show numerous domes and pits. This is the highest concentration of lunar domes, varying from about 200m to 500m in height. The small domes are steep sided and larger ones are irregular (I think I spotted one of these close to crater Marius). The whole area is described as a volcanic plateau possibly formed by an up-welling of basalt that is likely to be of a lighter viscosity. Mike

6576154_MariusHills.thumb.jpg.a0456fd558d0c434d575fd7fc48f09c5.jpg

• Like 9

Hi Danny, Just go for it. Don't worry about what it looks like. The act of drawing, forces one to look more closely and then you see more, which improves the observational skills. In time your drawing will get better but even if it doesn't improving the observational skills is definitely worth it.

Look forward to your first posting - do something simple - a single crater (try to make it look 3D).

Thanks for your comments.

Mike

• Like 1