Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synscan WIFI-Jump desktop connection issue.

Look left

Do not know if this is in the right section on forum.

I,m using Synscan WIFI dongle on EQ3 pro mount. No problems on it. However looking to use Sharpcap for focusing or APT again no issues.

so in theory I,m trying to use Jump desktop to view my laptop screen when focusing so that it's much easier and closer to see than my laptop. Again no problems when doing all 3 singly , my issues are that the WIFI dongle sends out its own WIFI signal that you then have to take your laptop off the internet signal and connect to Synscan signal. When you do this it looses the jump desktop to laptop connection is broken as these are both on the internet signal. So I cannot see the focus in Sharpcap or APT.  I've tried TeamViewer but the same happens and TeamViewer kicks me out after several seconds hence going to the Jump desktop.

i see in Synscan WIFI there are a couple of signal options and Jump has options e.g. cloud connection, however I,m not IT savvy enough to know how to go about it, can anyone offer suggestions. Is anyone doing the same set up for remote access ?

how can I use Synscan WIFI with dongle to control the mount through the laptop and see my laptop screen on a Tablet at the same time?

HI, although I am not familiar with jump desktop, I assume it is a wifi connected remote screen. The trouble is that your laptop (any laptop), can establish only one wifi connection at a given time. That means that it can either be connected to the synscan wifi or the remote screen.

• Like 1

you might be able to add a wifi-USB dongle to the laptop so you can then pair the laptop to both the SynScan-WiFi and your internet router (one to each) and then be able to operate the laptop remotely while still having it connected to the mount. Not tried that myself and don't currently have a dongle I can test with to verify that suggestion tho.

No chance you could run an ethernet cable out to the laptop? 
That'd be the better way as you'd get less lag in the remote session tho there will be some. Getting the focus right using this method will need patience and small adjustments so things catch up - I do my CCTV cameras this way, iPAD-VNC over WiFi remoting to my desktop and response isn't as direct as laptop directly connected to the camera, more practical tho when at height ;) 

Edited by DaveL59

7 hours ago, Look left said:

my issues are that the WIFI dongle sends out its own WIFI signal that you then have to take your laptop off the internet signal and connect to Synscan signal.

No you dont - IF your laptop has a wired ethernet you connect that to your Home router system , this will provide the Internet you require. Then you connect wirelessly to the SW Wifi adapter and you can then use Synscan.  In this method SW Wifi adapter is being the Access Point(AP) and you are connecting your laptop to it and being given an IP address by the SW Adapter and a second IP address via the wired ethernet from your home router. This should provide Internet connection.

Another way is to make the SW Wifi adapter into a "client" as opposed to a AP,read manual :-), so it (the SW adapter) connects to your home network Wifi network.  It will then take the IP address that is provided by your Home network router. Again Synscan App will connect to it. So as the SW Adapter and your laptop are all one the same network as your Home network and router your will be able to use the Internet.

Cheers for the suggestions. The home router is unfortunately about 20 mtr s from the laptop. However in theory I could put laptop beside router on Ethernet cable say 1 mtr. Then out on mount 22mtrs away I could conceivably use tablet to view/ control Sharpcap for focusing ,then switch to APT for plate solving,moving mount and camera adjustment.So thanks stash-old . Can I be cheeky and ask how you do it. I,m on Windows 10 . If I connect via Ethernet to laptop then look for Synscan mobile WIFI connect on that . Then on Jump desktop open up and it should work on Ethernet connection ? Or will Jump still be on house WIFI ? I,lol try it and see where I get to.

• Confused 1

Mmmm the more I think about it ?

as the tablet can only run one application at a time I cannot control the mount using the Synscan app then I have to drop out of this to open Jump focus the go back into Synscan app as it will assume I,m starting from scratch and will ask to re align.

If I read you right you will do the following :-

Put ALL the software on the Laptop and connect the mount ,camera etc from there.

Assuming tablet is Wins then use Microsoft RDP to Laptop. This will just connect and show the existing desktop. There is no difference the laptop desktop and the table RDP session are the same so you can control the software  from either end. 

BUT you have to decide how your network connections are going to work first.

For example using Wifi to connect to the SW Adapter and the latter staying as the Access Point your laptop might have an address of 10.42.1.120. You could then just also connect your tablet to the SW Adapter AP which might give you an address of 10.42.1.130. You would load and run ALL your software on the laptop. The Tablet would then RDP to 10.42.1.120 . You can now do anything remotely that you would if you were just using the laptop. Key points are

1. Wifi strength on  both the tablet and laptop is good to excellent.

2. Any cables ,for camera's etc will run from the laptop which will be near to the mount.

3. No internet 

There are numerous other options / combinations but the first key point is the network connections.  Sorry cannot be more precise !

Sorry mate it's an iPad so doesn't have Windows's. So when I,m looking for the WIFI address of my home system,laptop

i can pick up the same WIFI however when I run the Synscan WIFI dongle it produces its Synscan WIFI mount signal.

i have to put my laptop onto the Synscan WIFI signal . So my iPad tablet looks for my home system signal on my laptop and it cannot see it it does not connect. 

If I try my iPad on Synscan signal it will only work by opening the Synscan app and tries to take control of the mount not the laptop

Am going to try Ethernet into laptop soon. Cheers for assisting anyway.

29 minutes ago, Look left said:

So my iPad tablet looks for my home system signal on my laptop and it cannot see it it does not connect. 

Then make the Ipad join the same network as the Laptop (i.e. Synscan Wifi Adapter) they should then be able to see each other  .  The principle is the same. And I know Ipad can remote desktop to Windows OS using the IOS Apple store "app" - assuming the laptop is Win OS not a Mac Book.

You will buy these limited Apple devices LOL 🙂

Yep your right on the iPad. Have a couple of Samsung android 7 " tablets.

if I put the iPad onto the Synscan wifi the same as the laptop then this is the app to control the mount. Not seeing  the laptop screen surely? 

I,lol look for the iOS app!

2 hours ago, Look left said:

Yep your right on the iPad. Have a couple of Samsung android 7 " tablets.

if I put the iPad onto the Synscan wifi the same as the laptop then this is the app to control the mount. Not seeing  the laptop screen surely? 

I,lol look for the iOS app!

Think you are missing the point or we are at cross purposes.

If everything runs on the Laptop and that is connected via the software (whatever you use - synscan etc) then you can control the laptop desktop from your lIpad using IOS APP Microsoft Remote desktop. Nothing else needs to run on the IPAD but it can change,run ,stop,see everything the laptop session does.

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/microsoft-remote-desktop/id714464092#?platform=ipad

Or am I missing what you want ??????? 🙂

Thanks for showing me which one Cheers mate, I looked at the app but it needs iOS 13.00 to run it however my iPad will not load it onto mine.

sucks. Hence me loading Jump.  It did work when I tried it on the Ethernet but that's 20 meters away.