SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

iOptron CEM120 or EQ8?

wavydavy

It's a question I'd been pondering on myself of late, though somewhat idly given that the barn conversion is eating pretty much all our spare cash right now.  I think they both have their positives, but to me the CEM120 appears the more nicely-engineered.  The idea of supporting the RA axis at both ends seems very sensible given the kind of accuracy we're often looking for when imaging.  I've not seen much user feedback about either (assuming it's the EQ8R that you mean) though.

Another option might be a used Mesu 200, but they don't exactly come up for sale every week.

James

• Like 1

Now with the new Skywatcher EQ8R they are about the same maybe the EQ8R because of its evolution design since hitting the market in late 2012

would have the edge in my book yes it doesnt look as good as the CEM-120 but i think it has the edge the CGX-L is really not a new mount

at all its really an Advanced Ultra compact Cge Pro that uses the same motors worm gears counterweight bar and counterweights all three have

their own small teething problems Celestron has by far the best hand controller and software.

Edited by Michael Hogan
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Michael Hogan said:

CGX-L is great price

CGLX Is a very good price, but how does it compare to the rest, its payload is lower in comparision. Tempting but a worry it wont be enough, im gona guide off axis, and would alos need to add weight to the underside to compensate the balance in DEC as the orange dovetail will defo be right at the end of the saddle clamp...…..

On 09/12/2019 at 11:16, wavydavy said:

Whats best ioptron or skywatcher, I know theres a price difference, but im guessing the ioptron is better, any thoughts? Its to image throught a Celestron C11 Edge with focal reducer...…..

I rest my case, but I am biased 🙂

• Like 2