SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Pentax XW 30mm and 40mm Return

John

2 hours ago, DarkAntimatter said:

I wonder how they would compare with a TV panoptic. 70 vs 68 degree fov; 20 vs 24mm eye relief. 

I have a 24mm Panoptic and some shorter focal length XW's. The 2 degree difference in AFoV is not really noticable to be honest with you. I have used a Pnetax XW 30mm and compared it with a Nagler 31mm and the UWAN/Nirvana 28mm. The Pentax was a really comfortable eyepiece to use and not as heavy as the others. Here is the report I compiled back then:

31nagler30xw28nirvana11-09.pdf

• Thanks 2

4x the price usually equates to a few % difference in performance once you get above mid priced / mid market eyepieces I reckon. A lot of folks still go for those last few % though. Fussy lot, we are :smiley:

Personally I'd be interested to know how the 40mm XW-R compares with my Aero ED 40mm which cost me £50 used.

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

Interesting design. Both the 30mm and 40mm are different from the rest of the range and from each other.

The XWs vary quite a bit in their optical design across the range of focal lengths. This chart includes the old 30mm and 40mm XWs but I think the optical design there is the same as the new release of those focal lengths:

xwdesigns.gif.ff3ca295de856af570eaf3a3853dfb81.gif

Their optical characteristics show some variation across the range as well - some show negative field curvature and some positive:

image.png.8682faf8693f2d3ab6e412f9b909f26f.png

• Like 5

5 hours ago, John said:

The XWs vary quite a bit in their optical design across the range of focal lengths. This chart includes the old 30mm and 40mm XWs but I think the optical design there is the same as the new release of those focal lengths:

xwdesigns.gif.ff3ca295de856af570eaf3a3853dfb81.gif

Their optical characteristics show some variation across the range as well - some show negative field curvature and some positive:

image.png.8682faf8693f2d3ab6e412f9b909f26f.png

Any ideas why there is a difference John? Presumably they are all designed for similar scopes? The shorter focal lengths all have excellent reputations, seeming to imply negative FC is better in countering scope FC, but that must vary depending on scope type?

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Any ideas why there is a difference John? Presumably they are all designed for similar scopes? The shorter focal lengths all have excellent reputations, seeming to imply negative FC is better in countering scope FC, but that must vary depending on scope type?

I don't honestly know Stu. It used to be said that the XWs in the 1.25 inch fittied were originally designed for spotting scopes but I'm not sure about that. I doubt that you would use the 2 inch XWs in a spotting scope. The XWs replaced the XL range so the origins of the XLs are relevant as well. Interesting piece here on these ranges:

https://astromart.com/reviews-and-articles/reviews/eyepieces/other/show/understanding-pentax-xl-and-xw-eyepieces

@jetstream / Gerry - I find the 1.25 inch XW's have pretty low levels of light scatter given their optical complexity so I think there is a good chance that the 2 inch ones will score well in this department too. The 5mm and 7mm XW are now my "goto" eyepieces for splitting Sirius and for that you want as little scatter as possible.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John said:

The 40mm would give you a 10mm exit pupil in your 20 inch dob. Might not be that effective ?

15 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

A 40mm is going to be wasted with anything faster than f6. For an f4 scope 30mm is pushing it to the limit.

I guess that's why dob owners like the 21mm Ethos so much :smile:

True, you can't have it all. However, I had a 55mm TV plossl and it had something like a 13.5mm exit pupil at f4. Still had bright, razor sharp views. That was going to be paired up with a night vision tube, but would have been too bulky. 10mm exit pupil wouldn't be quite so bad but suppose the 30mm makes much more sense. There was an Ed Nagler article on the TV website discussing exit pupil, if I remember correctly he didn't seem too fussed if it was over 7mm. I'll dig that up. 

That article on exit pupil in excess of 7mm was on the TV myths website - apparently with refractors it's not an issue but indeed with reflectors the secondary can cause a black spot at really low magnification. For laughs I tried the 55mm plossl in a 130pds - no way, just a giant black spot, never had it in the 500p though. I would still have some overall light loss with a 40mm I suppose...

I'm keeping the 21E forever unless I become completely destitute however! It's an absolute winner.