Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 Untracked

KernowBeard

Been a while since I've been out with my advance setup due to weather and mainly observing when the chance to go out arises. 

Always wanted to have a go at M31 and this time of year is perfect for it., so here it is:

1117340955_EditCrop2.thumb.jpg.d88736f2b02e7a435fde46eb64154fbd.jpg

542320340_EditCrop.thumb.jpg.bbecfd0901402f664a5bc7ddcbdfc4f5.jpg

Now, compared to some of the images I've seen recently posted on here of M31, mine pales in comparison. This is due to the setup differences. My one does look rather good on phone screens however ;)

Having no tracking capabilities does hinder what you can do. This was taken with around 400ish 2.5 second exposures whilst battling with patchy clouds. (As well as darks and bias too, no flats).

Overall though I'm extremely happy with the result, I wasn't expecting as much detail as is present, it probably helps that my camera lens is fairly fast. 

When the next clear, moonless night comes around I think I will get some more data and see if I can improve it further.

Clear Skies.

• Like 14

On 08/12/2019 at 23:35, assouptro said:

Yeah, well done! 
there are a few who don’t guide but not many that don’t track! 
you can definitely see the dust lanes. 
what camera and lens did you use?

cheers 

Bryan

Thank you!

Would love to be able to do all the tracking and 'proper' setup but that will probably be a ways off from now. 

I use a Nikon D750 with a Tamron 70-200 f/2.8 lens.

On 09/12/2019 at 00:04, tooth_dr said:

I really enjoy your untracked images. Lacking in colour yes but not lacking in any of the detail. Superb. 

I'm always rather surprised by the amount of detail I'm able to pick up with this method. I think the goal is to capture all the messier visible from my location, though some might not prove so easy!

• Like 1