SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which DSLR?

I recently bought a skywatcher evostar 80ED refractor on a heq5 mount.

A guidecam is ordered (allthough waiting for the good folks at FLO to send it, is a good test of my patience), so all I am missing to start photographing is a reducer/flatner and camera.

The flatner will be the .85 made by skywatcher for the 80ED, but what camera would you advise?

I don't have that much of a budget, the mount plus scope took a lot from it, so I am looking for the best bang for my buck. Also in the future I probably want to step up to a mono cam, so I am not looking forward to spend a large amount of money, of not really necessary. Also, I will not use the camera for anything other than AP.

I gathered Nikon or Canon seem to be the most prefered brands, but there is so much choice.

A Canon 450d is mentioned a lot, however, also old and surpassed. But cheap. Others are more expensive, but maybe also a lot better?

What would you advise an absolute beginner to buy, not wasting money on quality he can't use (yet), but also not buying anything that has to be replaced to soon?

As you say a second hand 450d will do the job, later cameras have more bells and whistles not related to astro' photography, later ones have better noise control and better software all round.

Be wary of later 700 models that have a different autofocus array that interferes with astro' images, the 600 range are good having a useful flip out rotating screen and later cameras have better red response so do a good job without modding, no idea about Nikon.

Dave

• Like 1

Whatever camera, you consider take a look at Camera Jungle.com.

This second hand camera exchange is run by Jessops and you can purchase unused unopened (still originally boxed) DSLR cameras at incredible discounts. Of course, they are last year's obsolete retail model, but still good for purpose. I picked up a Nikon DX5200 body for around half price. But Canon EOS appear more popular as the software options appear wider.

But why DSLR? I find that an astro camera tends to be much more forgiving. I gave up with a DSLR after about a year, instead bought an Atik Horizon camera, and never looked back. My DLSR had a 200 page manual and consequently I never fully mastered it.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Davey-T said:

As you say a second hand 450d will do the job, later cameras have more bells and whistles not related to astro' photography, later ones have better noise control and better software all round.

Be wary of later 700 models that have a different autofocus array that interferes with astro' images, the 600 range are good having a useful flip out rotating screen and later cameras have better red response so do a good job without modding, no idea about Nikon.

Dave

So, with what you are saying the 600 series seem to be the sweet spot between money and quality..

19 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

Whatever camera, you consider take a look at Camera Jungle.com.

This second hand camera exchange is run by Jessops and you can purchase unused unopened (still originally boxed) DSLR cameras at incredible discounts. Of course, they are last year's obsolete retail model, but still good for purpose. I picked up a Nikon DX5200 body for around half price. But Canon EOS appear more popular as the software options appear wider.

But why DSLR? I find that an astro camera tends to be much more forgiving. I gave up with a DSLR after about a year, instead bought an Atik Horizon camera, and never looked back. My DLSR had a 200 page manual and consequently I never fully mastered it.

Firstly I forgot to mention I al not from the UK, but will check that site to see if intl purchases are a good option.

Secondly, it is a matter of budget. A new zwo or atik for DSO seems to be quite expensive. Of course you het a lot from that money, but it is still a lot of money, while a used DSLR van be had for 1/3 9f the price. And secondhand zwo/atik cams are difficult to find in my country, secondhand DSLRs are easy to find.

I have the 600D twin lens kit

Still learning how to drive it for AP

Connect directly to scope with T adapter

Viewing not been good last few weeks due to bush fires around us, and smoke been carried in from other fire effect locations

John 

I have a secondhand modified 600d and a f/f 6d mkii, 600d is my goto choice when imaging AP, good size swivel screen, easy to use, recommended iso range of 800-1600 is all that is needed, max iso 6400 but I only use that for focusing and you can pick up secondhand pretty cheaply. 

8 minutes ago, steviebee said:

Noah4x4, I think Jessops have just gone into Liquidation :-(.

Again.....

Have a look at MPB.com, they have a vastly wider range of stock than Camera Jungle and are still an ongoing trading entity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Be wary of later 700 models that have a different autofocus array that interferes with astro' images

As someone who has been using a Canon 700D, I'm not aware of this... can you elaborate?

1 hour ago, scitmon said:

As someone who has been using a Canon 700D, I'm not aware of this... can you elaborate?

Not sure which 7** models it affects, a search on here should turn up something as there have been a few posts about it.

Dave

6 hours ago, steviebee said:

Noah4x4, I think Jessops have just gone into Liquidation :-(.

Was now't to do with me suggesting buy second hand from its Camera Jungle rather than new from Jessops. Might be greater bargains to be had if there is a clearance sale?  

6 hours ago, scitmon said:

The problem that is sometimes reported when using the 650/700/750D models is horizontal banding, now this usually only shows up when an image is heavily stretched (I never noticed it when I had a 650D).

The cause of this banding is the hybrid AF system that these cameras use for live view focusing when shooting video for example, the hybrid system uses extra rows of sensors in between the normal sensor pixels, the other system often used by Canon for AF is the dual pixel configuration as used on the **D and mirrorless cameras that has eliminated the problem.

Alan  

Edited by Alien 13
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JonF said:

Again.....

Have a look at MPB.com, they have a vastly wider range of stock than Camera Jungle and are still an ongoing trading entity.

I've just looked into Jessops/Camera Jungle, and it seems the property arm of the company is in administration. Jessops Europe, the main camera supply company is still trading, at least for the time being.

Personally I'd still shop at MPB. Having used both MPB and Camera Jungle I find the prices and quality to be better at MPB, and they certainly have a lot more stock.

• Like 1