SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

LP filter with ASI1600 Mono and Canon lens

Z3roCool

Hi there, I have just purchased the ASI1600MM with EFW and NB, LRGB filters. 

I plan on using NB mostly from home as terrible LP. Was just thinking if an LP filter would fit on my setup to work with the LRGB filters (if not will only use when at darker sky). 

My setup is as in photo. 1600 straight onto EFW and then the EOS adapter for Canon camera. Would I be able to fit anything between the adapter and lens?

Cheers for any ideas. 

Tommy. 

E59B5075-4158-47D1-BE45-C4DBFC0AE4FC.jpeg

12 hours ago, Z3roCool said:

Hi there, I have just purchased the ASI1600MM with EFW and NB, LRGB filters. 

I plan on using NB mostly from home as terrible LP. Was just thinking if an LP filter would fit on my setup to work with the LRGB filters (if not will only use when at darker sky). 

My setup is as in photo. 1600 straight onto EFW and then the EOS adapter for Canon camera. Would I be able to fit anything between the adapter and lens?

Cheers for any ideas. 

Tommy. 

E59B5075-4158-47D1-BE45-C4DBFC0AE4FC.jpeg

Would also be interested in knowing the answer to this, I dont have the same equipment as you but would like to do LRGB imaging from my light polluted garden and was wondering if a light pollution filter would work in situ.

I have a light pollution filter, it helped little but the problem is with the reflection it causes, so maybe i will try again different way if possible adding the filter, just for now i am trying to use all filters without any LP filters added, i also live under light polluted sky, just by late night it gets better dark so that is my moment actually.

I think you'll find that the ZWO RGB filters have a strategic gap where light from Hg and Na street lights emit (just look on their or FLO's website to see.... Baader etc do the same) .  The luminance filter has no such gap so maybe just replace that with a LP filter..  as I understand it not much can be done about LED light pollution as it much broader band.

You're set up will be great for narrowband and if you wanted to add RGB stars you don't need much RGB exposure.. 10 mins total a channel would probably be enough a light stretch and no big worries about LP

Dave

2 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

I think you'll find that the ZWO RGB filters have a strategic gap where light from Hg and Na street lights emit (just look on their or FLO's website to see.... Baader etc do the same) .  The luminance filter has no such gap so maybe just replace that with a LP filter..  as I understand it not much can be done about LED light pollution as it much broader band.

You're set up will be great for narrowband and if you wanted to add RGB stars you don't need much RGB exposure.. 10 mins total a channel would probably be enough a light stretch and no big worries about LP

Dave

+1

I've got an 8-splace wheel and I'm planning:

Baader UV/IR Cut (L) (1) ZWO LRGB (2-4) Baader HSO (5-7) Then a moon/skyglow (8) to sub for L if necessary (I have found these to be very effective here for OSC where most of my LP is LP sodium).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

+1

I've got an 8-splace wheel and I'm planning:

Baader UV/IR Cut (L) (1) ZWO LRGB (2-4) Baader HSO (5-7) Then a moon/skyglow (8) to sub for L if necessary (I have found these to be very effective here for OSC where most of my LP is LP sodium).

My LP here is almost mixed but the dominance as i can see is LED, so the only filter i read all around that may can help a bit for LED is IDAS D2, so that i bought that filter but only in 2" so i can place it over all the filters, but it caused bad reflections for all filters, just i need to try it again more as it caused that when i used my Canon 300mm, but maybe i should mount it on flattener or corrector or reducer to have a better performance, as i placed that filter inside the adapter connection of EOS to filter wheel not on anything else, otherwise i should buy another LP filter at size 1.25" cheaper than IDAS to be in that 8th slot inside filter wheel [ i was planning to use that for NII actually in future].

• Like 1

On 07/12/2019 at 16:46, Laurin Dave said:

Dave

I do the same, I dont have an lp filter and since switching to mono haven't seen a need. 

Adding an lp filter into the wheel will likely lead to focus shift, so no interlacing between frames without constant focus adjustments; a non trivial task with a camera lens... 

Have you tested your setup without an lp filter to see how it fares?

The lum data is so detailed and clean compared to a dslr, when combined with rgb which appears to have some lp suppresion built in I just havent felt it necessary. The lp where i live is modern led streetlights so essentially impossible to filter.

I also hate the way lp filters mess with the colour balance.

Honestly speaking, my LP filter causing one main issue that made me to remove it, HALO reflection, i really don't know why, maybe because i placed it in wrong place withing imaging setup, i really don't know where it should be placed then, in fact it caused that reflection even when i used Ha filter on a target, Horsehead nebula, so Al-Nitak looked like it was out from a big lunch/dinner invitation.