Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Mogey telescopes

Ruud

This is a 5 inch refractor from the 1932 catalogue of William Mogey & Sons, inc. 
In 2019 money this telescope (with electric dive) would cost $21,366.

There are many more telescopes in the catalogue:

Mogey 1932.pdf 

Multiply by 18.742 for 2019 prices.

capture_001_11112019_024947.thumb.png.68de59259113896c70e83cd7db065025.png

Edited by Ruud
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Any idea how you attach the brass DSLR? Let alone how you connect up the bronze laptop. Must have weighed a ton.

Does rather put things into perspective though. In 1923 how many people had electric? But I am guessing that if you had 21k for a telescope you had shares in Westinghouse.

Strange irony that the person with the scope probably had all the lights on to show off to neighbours, so there starts urban light pollution at the hands of an astronomer.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Telescope manufacturers who sell us flimsy ali tripods - take note.

The simplicity of the (weighted) clock drive is nice to see.

At that time magnet and other technologies would have dictated a much larger motor than we ae used to seeing today.

Only had chance to glance at the full catalogue, but it is going to be a good read.

Thanks for posting.

The world famous amateur Leslie C Peltier had the use of a beautiful 4" Mogey refractor that was loaned to him for variable star observing by the AAVSO. His book Starlight Nights, The Adventures of a Star Gazer, has a lovely chapter about it. I'd love to use a Mogey like the one in the pic above, but I think I'd take some convincing it would be worth $21,000+. 

• Like 1