Narrowband

First Attempts with SA100 - (part three)

I have been experimenting further with a Star Analyser 100 grating, a ZWO ASI178 MM camera and a 200PDS telescope on an HEQ5 mount. I used Firecapture for data capture and BASS for data processing. Here is the result. What do people think - is this looking right? I am just chuffed to have something that looks vaguely as I was expecting, if not better! I would love to know how I can improve things (is exposure right, etc) and if I have done things correctly in the first place, so all thoughts gratefully received!

178Spectra-2019-12-01.jpg.3d8d4c63dfd0c88e010487f2ce7b5e56.jpg

• Like 3

Looking good ! Since Castor is a double and you have the two stars aligned in the dispersion direction there is likely to be some blurring due to the overlap of the two spectra. If you orientate the camera plus grating so the two stars are one above the other, you could probably split the two spectra to show that they are very similar spectroscopically.  Other interesting targets to try comparing are delta Cas and gamma Cas. Both are hot main sequence stars but the emission from the disc round gamma Cas turns H alpha and beta into bright emission lines

Cheers

Robin

• Like 3

Brilliant, thank you both. Good tip with the orientation of the double star - I will look out for that kind of thing in future.

My spectral journey has most definitely started and I look forward to getting out again soon to explore what's up there!

• Like 2