SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

CMOS image sensors

Gan

2 hours ago, vlaiv said:

Not sure what would be misleading in that?

Many people interpret this graph as meaning that there is a large decrease in dark current going from 15 to 0 C, but hardly any decrease going from 0 to - 15 C. While we both know that the dark current keeps on decreasing in the same manner.

A log scale would have been better, imo. 

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Many people interpret this graph as meaning that there is a large decrease in dark current going from 15 to 0 C, but hardly any decrease going from 0 to - 15 C. While we both know that the dark current keeps on decreasing in the same manner.

A log scale would have been better, imo. 

Yes, sometimes log scale shows stuff better, but sometimes it is harder to read. I don't like log scale used for full well capacity - no way of actually reading anything meaningful off of it :D

2 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

Yes, sometimes log scale shows stuff better, but sometimes it is harder to read. I don't like log scale used for full well capacity - no way of actually reading anything meaningful off of it :D

Yes a Log scale is something for scientists and engineers and not something that is useful to the general public. 

Also why are we not suggesting the ASI2600MC Pro in this thread? Or is that out of budget for the OP?

Edited by Adam J

1 hour ago, Adam J said:

Yes a Log scale is something for scientists and engineers and not something that is useful to the general public. 

Also why are we not suggesting the ASI2600MC Pro in this thread? Or is that out of budget for the OP?

See this post:

Budget limited to ~ £900.

7 hours ago, Allinthehead said:

It's only better on paper and quite a bit more expensive.

Have you come across any images taken with one? 

No but I have of the 533 which is similar technology and intact the 2600 should be even better due to the 16bit a/d. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Guys

Finally got my ASI 071! I need some help/guidance please regarding switching from DSLR to CMOS astrophotography.

1. SOFTWARE:

As I am completely new to CCD/CMOS astrophotography, please could someone suggest best software to take few nice images of DSO. I am not aware if there are any standalone imaging software ( like Backyard EOS for Canon DSLR).

I am familiar with sequencing software like APT, SGPro and NINA etc. These are very nice programmes but I feel their main concentration is on  the whole sequence set up rather than just imaging side of it. I will perhaps get to grips with these eventually. But in the meantime if I want to just experiment with the new camera ( ASI 071) and understand the camera better, is there any software that does just that?

2. SETTINGS

What are the ideal settings for the CMOS cameras for DSO imaging. For instance in DSLR imaging your parameters are

i. exposure duration  ( either long exposure with guidance e.g. 180 sec or more or shorter exposure with lot more images to be stacked in post-processing

ii. ISO : 3200 or 6400 or even higher etc.

Help and guidance please. Much appreciated in anticipation

Gan

My Gear: Edge HD8, NEQ6 Pro, QHY5L II for guiding, Celestron focuser