Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Guide cam upgrade advice required

AstroNowt

After having a lot of success with my guide cam, originally with a guide scope and recently using an Starlight Xpress OAG I ran into trouble last night on a difficult target.

I am looking to upgrade my GPCAM MT9M034M based camera. 

The Lodestar X2 and ASI174MM mini are both available for mid £400s and I know there is a lot of love for the Lodestar X2 but is anyone using a 174 based camera for guiding?

I like the idea of the 174s larger FOV and its potential flexibility, although the 10x8mm mirror on the OAG will be a bit of a restriction. Any other suggestions?

I have tried to find relative sensitivity info on sensors but am finding it difficult to get anything useful.

I have both a Starlight Xpress Superstar and an ASI290MM and use both for guiding.   Both work really nicely as guide cameras and from what I've seen so far, I don't think there's much to choose between them.

I use my Superstar via a SkyWatcher ST-80 as guide scope for my 8" Meade LX-90, and the ASI290MM through a ZWO mini guide scope for my Spacecat 51, on Star Adventurer.

Whilst I'm not really pushing the ASI290MM hard in it's guiding duties, I can tell you that there is no RA drift over my entire image session.  (Dec drift depends on the PA accuracy)

As for the sensetivity.   I get the impression that the Superstar is more sensetive (but can't quote figures).   I've not tried switching the cameras about (and have no intention of doing a direct comparison, they're working for they're roles and I don't wanna break anything).   All in all, I don't think you will regret whichever way you go.

• Thanks 1

Hi, I use a lodestar x2 mono on a OAG with the sx filter wheel and it performs very well, I did use a 174m cam but I just had issues with the sensitivity and sold it, I found the X2 very sensitive and there was no need to use a great depth of the prism into the OAG, mine is hardly in and can still find many stars even on a barren part of the sky, but binning x2 the guider thru PHD2 really helps as well, but there may be better guider cams out there now as the lodsstar x2 is few years old now. tony

Thanks. The Lodestar X2 seems the obvious choice but there are a lot of new sensors around now and with a bit more research it seems that a 178 based camera might be a good option sensor size wise.

May just put up a wanted ad and see if anything is about.