SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

NGC1333 in Perseus.... His Dark Material

Laurin Dave

Reflection Nebula NGC1333 in Perseus, part of the Perseus Molecular cloud and about 1000 light years distant.   Thought I'd have a go at this as I've seen some lovely examples on here. Imaged through my Esprit 150/SX-46 with piggybacked Esprit 100/ASI1600mm on a Mesu 200 on the nights of 29 November and 2 and 3 December..  9 hrs luminance through the 150 and 3hrs each RGB through the 100. Processed in APP, Pixinsight and Photoshop CC...  much dimmer than I had anticipated, hardly any of the dust showing after 3 hrs on the first night.

Thanks for looking

Dave

NGC1333_LRGB_4Dec19_Final.thumb.jpg.5bcdaa26c39f9a207877cf65ea1a4d15.jpg

• Like 25

NGC 1333 is a lovely target and you got it very nice and not to hard edited with the colors.
 Btw I tested your advise with dithering on my last image and the stripes are gone, so thanks again.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Allinthehead said:

One of my favorite targets done very well indeed. I'm chipping away at this one too, a lot of data needed as it really is feint.

Thanks Richard....  faint it is!… after removing the gradient there was hardly anything left!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MartinB said:

That is superb!  What is your sky glow like?

Thanks Martin..   I'm on the edge of a small village south of Reading, CO says Bortle 4-5. East (over the village) and North (Reading) not so good but overhead and south pretty dark especially after the neighbours go to bed

Dave

Further to some encouragement from @Cozzy I've done some further tweaks..  stretching through a starless mask of itself ..  and reducing the green a tad here's another version.. I think it's a bit better. I've found processing (and viewing) it in the dark helps with this one!

Dave

NGC1333_LRGB_Curves_Levels_10Dec19_Final.thumb.jpg.d9d944b8352db422ed89fba186e4a2f5.jpg

Edited by Laurin Dave
  • Like 4

I think you've done well here Dave. It may be faint, but the dark, dusty regions are still showing nicely. This is just a very challenging target from UK skies. The only answer, is either lots of aperture, or lots of exposure! 

I made the mistake recently of underestimating it. On my one and only night of imaging from the last 6 months, i tried my hand at it. Managed just shy of 4 hrs (but due to technical issues, half of that wasn't really useable). In the end i couldn't even make an image i thought was worthy of posting. I'll know next time to stick to the brighter targets! 

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2019 at 16:33, Laurin Dave said:

I've found processing (and viewing) it in the dark helps with this one!

haha, I do that too, for my final stretches and whatnot, make sure I'm not being influenced by a tungsten colour cast.  Only drawback is I can't see the keyboard though...

• Haha 1